Item Index Information
Flip Chess and Flip Shogi is a game information page. It is categorized as: Orthodox chess, .
In 1997/1998, the first chess variant design contest was held on the Chess Variant Pages website: design a chess variant on a board with 38 squares. My personal favorite in this contest was not the winning game, but the game that obtained the second place: Flip Chess, by John William Brown. I played a game by email, and several games with my children on improvised board and pieces, made from paper. The game is still among the most favorite of the chess variants I know. This game has nice tactical possibilities. While the board is small, the flipping of pieces gives sufficiently many possibilities for play. While the author regards the variant Flip Shogi (where taken pieces become reinforcements for the player that took them) as an improvement, I think that the basic game is nicer. It is a good variant to play with children, too.
- Browse items that also start with the letter F.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Fl.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Fli.
- Browse similar items.
- Browse items with a similar board.
- Add a comment or rate this item.
- Skip to comments section.
- Flip Chess. Missing description Author: Ed Friedlander. Inventor: John William Brown.
- Flip Shogi. Missing description Author: Ed Friedlander. Inventor: John William Brown.
- Flip Chess . Pieces have two sides with different movements on board of 38 squares. Author: Hans L. Bodlaender. Inventor: John William Brown.
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID = 'FlipChess' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)
Index Maintenance [links] [associate image] [associate text] [info] [quick edit]
Group ID 'FlipChess'