The Drops: Turncoat Tag
In these games, captured pieces are normally given to the player who captures them as his own pieces, and he may use a subsequent move to place a captured piece onto an empty space. Some games of this sort rely on reversible pieces whose side is determined by their orientation. Others may rely on switching pieces with extra pieces of the opposite color or on computer graphics.
- Annan Shogi. Shogi variant where pieces move like a friendly piece directly behind it. (9x9, Cells: 81)
- Bedlam. A hybrid of Metamorphin' Fusion Chess and Chessgi. (8x8, Cells: 64)
- Chessgi. Drop the pieces you take from your opponent. (8x8, Cells: 64)
- Crazy 38's. On strange board with 38 squares. (Cells: 38) (Recognized!)
- Crazyhouse. A two-player version of Bughouse. (8x8, Cells: 64) (Recognized!)
- Fusion Chessgi. A hybrid of Fusion Chess and Chessgi.
- Hajiku Shogi. Inspired by Shogi and Chu Shogi. Pieces can both promote and demote in promotion zone.
- Halfgi. A hybrid of Chessgi and Ralph Betza's Half Chess. (8x8, Cells: 64)
- Hex Shogi 41. Hexagonal shogivariant on board with 41 squares. (Cells: 41)
- Hex Shogi 81. A hexagonal Shogi variant on an 81-space board. (9x9, Cells: 81)
- Hex Shogi 91. A hexagonal Shogi variant on a 91-space board. (Cells: 91)
- Kamikaze Mortal Shogi. Send your Kamikazes on suicide missions in this Shogi variant. (9x9, Cells: 81)
- Mansindam (Pantheon tale). A variant that combines 'drop' rule and strong pieces, and there is no draw. (9x9, Cells: 81)
- Minishogi. On a 5 by 5 board. (5x5, Cells: 25) (Recognized!)
- Mortal Chessgi. A Chessgi game in which captures reduce material. (8x8, Cells: 64)
- Mortal Shogi. A Shogi variant in which pieces aren't all immortal. (9x9, Cells: 81)
- Shatranji. A hybrid of Shatranj and Chessgi. (8x8, Cells: 64)
- Shogi. Missing description (9x9, Cells: 81) (Recognized!)
- Shogi with Impassable Kings. A modest fix to Shogi that makes impasses impossible.
- Wild Jokers. 7 by 7 board with 8 pits and various pieces, including jokers that can make successive jumps across pits. (7x7, Cells: 41)
- xodul. Ten different pieces, with some Shogi and Xiangqi inspirations.
- Drops - Pieces can be held in reserve and dropped.