The Drops Tag
Pieces can be held in reserve and dropped. Pieces may simply be allotted at the beginning of the game ("pocket" pieces), or voluntarily moved from the board to reserve, or captured pieces may be put into reserve (usually changing sides).
- Hostage Chess. Pieces taken are held hostage and can be exchanged against other pieces and then dropped. (8x8, Cells: 64) (Recognized!) (1)
- For the Crown. A commercial crossover with deck-building games. (8x8, Cells: 64) (1)
- Shogi. Missing description (9x9, Cells: 81) (Recognized!) (1)
- Tandem Chess. 4 player variant where pieces taken from your opponent are given to your partner. (8x8x2, Cells: 128) (Recognized!) (1)
- csipgs Chess. Design and buy new chess pieces during play. (8x8, Cells: 64) (1)
- Drops: Initial Setup - Players may drop pieces onto the board before regular play begins
- Drops: Pocket - A piece may be dropped onto the board from a pocket space.
- Drops: Turncoat - Captured pieces change sides and may later be dropped back on the board.