This page contains one or more presets for playing a game online with Game Courier, an online server for playing Chess variants by correspondence.
Tenjiku Shogi is a 400-year-old historical large Shogi variant. Here is a selection of presets for playing Tenjiku Shogi on Game Courier. Each preset allows pieces to be moved with the mouse, asks what pieces should promote to (unless they get burned), enforces the rules, and spots winning conditions. However, it will not notify you of check, checkmate, or stalemate, since there are no rules concerned with these conditions in Tenjiku Shogi. The rules for repeated board positions are not enforced by the preset thanks to them being next to infinitely complex, so it is up to the players to abide by these. All the following presets use the same settings file and differ only in how they have been customized to use different boards. If you find any bugs in the routines used for enforcing the rules, please report them to Adam DeWitt.
The original preset for this game was made by user judgementality. It has no rule enforcement or display of legal moves.
Original preset (without rule enforcement) by judgementality
Note: The presets with rule enforcement follow the ruleset from H.G. Muller's article for this game. Some specifics to be aware of include:
- Fire Demons
- Orthogonal sliding move is along a rank.
- When a Fire Demon lands next to another Fire Demon, only the moving piece is burnt.
- When a Water Buffalo promotes to a Fire Demon, it will not actively burn adjacent pieces until it moves.
- However, it still retains its ability to burn enemy pieces that move next to it.
- Bishop General, Rook General, Vice General, and Great General
- May capture each other irrespective of rank.
- Cannot capture a King or Prince by jumping, but can do so without jumping.
- Lion Hawk
- Moves as a Lion or as a Bishop.
- Free Eagle
- Is a Queen enhanced by the diagonal moves of the Lion.
- Heavenly Tetrarch
- Can slide arbitrarily along a file or the diagonals, or up to three squares sideways (cannot move to and is not blocked by the first square).
- Can capture an adjacent piece without moving.
This 'user submitted' page is a collaboration between the posting user and the Chess Variant Pages. Registered contributors to the Chess Variant Pages have the ability to post their own works, subject to review and editing by the Chess Variant Pages Editorial Staff.
Author: Adam DeWitt.
Web page created: 2020-05-04. Web page last updated: 2020-05-04