The Chess Variant Pages
Custom Search



Makruk Set Photos

I made the first Makruk set shown by glueing some wood knob pieces together, adding some toothpick points [to royalty], and used some red and white acrylic paint.

I bought a $1 chess set at a dollar discount store to get the knights... painted them too.

I already had the board.

The following is a photo of a metal set I completed on 13 July 2008.

I had the board already. It is just under 9 x 9" and folds in four.

Pieces are as follows:

pawns - washers. recessed red dots are on the promotion side

rooks - metal caps - often go on the ends of steel rods

knights - elbow fittings, wing-nuts are another option for knights

royalty - dome cap nuts with toothpick spikes

On July 20, 2008 I finished making a Makruk set from the popular elastic polymer (Sculpy(c)) which hardens in the oven. It is somewhat of a rough free-hand set with the knight all looking a little different. Even the pawns, though close in appearance, were made individually (instead of using a mold made from one ideal pawn).

The promotion sides of the pawns have a central dot, then 4 outer dots to represent 4 possible squares of movement.



This 'user submitted' page is a collaboration between the posting user and the Chess Variant Pages. Registered contributors to the Chess Variant Pages have the ability to post their own works, subject to review and editing by the Chess Variant Pages Editorial Staff.


Author: Gary K. Gifford.
Web page created: 2008-07-06. Web page last updated: 2008-07-06