Item Index Information
Wa Shogi is a Zillions-of-Games file. It is categorized as: Two dimensional, Large board, Oriental, From ancient times, ShogiBased. This item is located on a site outside of chessvariants.org.
Wa Shogi. Large Shogi variant from the 17th century or earlier.
Author: Douglas Silfen.
Wa Shogi is first mentioned in literature in the 17th century. The pieces are all named after birds or animals, and the names are very whimsical (even by Shogi variant standards). Other than the initial board setup and moves of the pieces, little definite is known about the game. It is assumed that in most respects the rules were identical to Shogi, but it is unclear whether or not the game was played with drops.
The board used for this game has 11 row(s), 11 column(s), 121 cells/squares.
This game is a 2 player game.
- Browse items that also start with the letter W.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Wa.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Wa .
- Browse similar items.
- Browse items with a similar board.
- Add a comment or rate this item.
- Skip to comments section.
- Wa Shogi. Game with many different rather weak pieces, with or without drops. (11x11, Cells: 121) Author: H. G. Muller.
- Wa Shogi. A variant of Japanese Chess on an 11 by 11 board. (Link.).
- Wa Shogi pictures. Photos of a commercial Wa Shogi set. Author: John Lawson.
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID = 'WaShogi' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)
Index Maintenance [links] [associate image] [associate text] [info] [quick edit]
Group ID 'WaShogi'