Index to Chess VariantsIn order of importance, more or less:
- What's New?
- Chess with Different Armies Index
- Old Blurb: Chess with Different Teams
- The Colorbound Clobberers
- The Remarkable Rookies
- The Nutty Knights
- The Forward FIDEs
- The Allaround Allstars
- Some Sample Analyses
- Chess Variants with Different Armies
- Chess on a Really Big Board
- Golden Age Chess on a Really Big Board
- Minigolf Chess
- 3D Chess has been reorganized.
- Limited Doublemove Chess
- Hit Point Chess 1
- Buypoint Chess
- Index to Articles about Pieces
- Wand Chess
- Taxi Chess
- Earthquake Chess
- Trapdoor Chess
- Confusion Chess 1b
- Tilting the Balance Chess
- Missing the Mark Chess
- Outrigger Chess
- My version of Inertia Chess
- Three Kinds of Billiards Chess
- Features of the Chessboard
- Different Augmented Knights, PLUS! Further steps towards chess with different armies.
- Annotated Games of Different Augmented Knights
- About the Values of Chess Pieces
Chess with Different Teams
Under the old rules, Chess was like a sports league with only one team. How sad. How lonely.
Cheer up, though, because things are better now.
Now there are five teams, because four new chess "teams" have been recruited to play in the league along with the old team, the Fabulous FIDEs (the team that Karpov and Kasparov use against each other).
What this means is that, in any game of Chess, instead of the same old setup where White uses the Fabulous FIDE team and Black uses the Fabulous FIDE team, now you can play Chess with different teams, and I do mean Chess.
The game is still Chess, even though the pieces are different. Memorized opening variations change, but the general strategical and tactical ideas are still the same, the *feel* of the game is still the same. It's Chess.
Of course, you can play a game where both sides use the Fabulous FIDEs or both sides use the Nutty Knights, but the real fun is when the White and Black teams are different.
Equally "of course", if you prefer to play Progressive Chess or Avalanche Chess or FischerRandom Chess, you can also use these new teams in those games.