Brett RulesJuraj Pivovarov sent an email with the following text, May 1999.
Hi Hans,The rules, as sent by Juraj can be found below.
A friend of mine came up with an excellent chess variation that makes the game great fun:
It's called "Brett Rules" from a friend called Brett.
RulesThe game uses the same rules as usual chess, except that three pieces have added (or reduced) mobility and there is an additional criteria for winning, as described below.
1. Boomerang Bishops
- Bishops may move as regular bishops,
- or may move one square as a regular bishop, and then again as a regular bishop. (I.e., one square diagonally and then continue any number of squares in a diagonal line as a bishop).
2. Right Angle Rooks
- Rooks may move as regular rooks,
- or may move one square as a regular rook, and then again as a regular rook. (I.e., one square up,down,left or right and then continue any number of squares in a orthogonal line as a rook).
3. Mexican Kings
- A player wins if his king can "Promote" on an unchecked square of his respective 8th rank. I.e., if he makes it to the border safely, he wins.
4. Queer Queens
- Queer queens may only take from behind or diagonally behind. (I.e., they may not capture sideways and may not capture forward, or forward diagonally, only in a reverse direction, or reverse diagonally)