Balanced Swap ChessJoao Pedro Neto send the rules of this variant in the summer of 1998. He wrote:
This is an evolution of swap chess. I think this is a fair and nice game for those who like marsellais 2-move feature. It's very dynamic and even if you think a piece is in a stronghold position, you're wrong!
- All FIDE rules apply except in the following:
- Each move is made of a regular FIDE move and a swap move (see 3.) This is valid even if the regular move is a check. In the first move of white, only the regular move is done.
- A swap move is a two piece swap of positions. One piece is a player's piece, and the other is on a square where the 1st piece could move (if the square was empty) or take (if the square had an opponent piece).
- If a player cannot make the regular move or the swap, s/he looses!
- A white (black) pawn in the 1st (8th) row can move 2 squares forward.
- If due to the swap move, a pawn reaches the promotion rank, it is always the player who made the swap that decides the promotion.
- A check must be released in the regular move.
Sample GamesWhite: Joao Neto
Black: Bill Taylor
1. d4 2. Nc6 f8/g7 3. Nf3 f1/g2 4. B:d4 d4/a7 5. N:d4 d4/e2 6. f6 d8/d7 7. B:c6 a1/a2 8. Q:c6 c6/h1 9. R:c7 c7/c2 10. d8:c7 h1/h2 11. R:a7 a7/a1 12. Q:h1 h8/h7 13. Bf4 e2/d4 14. Bh3 h7/e7 15. Kd2 b1/d2 16. Q:f1 f1/f2 17. Nb5 d1/d2 18. Q:f1 e8/f8 19. Be3 e2/e3 20. Q:e2 e2/b5 21. resigns 0-1 Final Position r . . . p k n p O p p . r . . p . . . . . p . . . q . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . b . O R Q N . . . R K . N . . . .
White: Joao Neto (The Amazon Army)
Black: Ralph Betza (The Fabulous FIDES)
p p b n k . b p r p p O q . p r . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Q . . . p . . . . . . . . . . . . B O . O O B 4 4 N O . K O N O -------------------- R4 N B QN K B N R4 -------------------- 1. (QN)d1-c3 1... e7-e5, Nb8/d7 2. d2-d3, Bf1/g2 2... f7-f6, Ra8/a7 3. Ng1-h3, Bc1/b2 3... Bf8-e7, Ng8/e7 4. (QN)c3:e5, (QN)e5/d3 4... f6:e5, Qd8/e7 5. a2-a4, (R4)h1/h2 5... e5-e4, Rh8/h7 6. (QN)d3:d7, (QN)d7/a4+ 6... Resigns
Note: the amazon queen QN, is too strong piece for this particular CV
Written by Joao Pedro Neto; edited by Hans Bodlaender.
WWW page created: June 23, 1998.