The Drops: Initial Setup Tag
In these variants, all or some of the pieces start off the board, and players initially take some time to choose where to place these pieces. They might do this in alternate succession or in some other order.
- Anti-Prechess. The opponent must place your piece on the board. (8x8, Cells: 64) (0)
- Chessembly. Open Board Setup, Free Placement Chess. (8x8, Cells: 64) (0)
- Chessling. Variant where the board starts empty and each player can move or drop a piece, and the goal is capture of all opposing pieces. (0)
- Descent Chess. Start with a King and two Pawns, then move or drop one of the remaining pieces. (8x8, Cells: 64) (0)
- Placement. Only kings start on board; other pieces are dropped to home square and then moved. (8x8, Cells: 64) (0)
- Unachess. Start with empty board and begin with dropping pieces. (8x8, Cells: 64) (0)
- Drops - Pieces can be held in reserve and dropped.