Based on an idea my father had, where pieces change type after they moved. This game uses that idea but it is a different game.
kkkkkkkk kkkkkkkk pppppppp ........ ........ PPPPPPPP KKKKKKKK KKKKKKKK
(The original setup for this game omitted the "P" (pawns) but I then added the pawns later. In my opinion the variant with pawns is better)
- K=King: Moves 1 space any direction orthogonal or diagonal, like the king in chess. Rule of check/mate doesn't apply (and there is no castling either). After it moves, you may let it stay as a king, or change it into a rook or knight or bishop (your choice).
- P=Pawn: Move like the pawn in chess, but no initial double-move. Promotes to a rook, knight, or bishop.
- R=Rook: Move like rook in chess. After it moves, you must change it into a knight or bishop.
- N=Knight: Move like knight in chess. After it moves, you must change it into a rook or bishop.
- B=Bishop: Move like bishop in chess. After it moves, you must change it into a knight or rook.
RulesThe rules for who wins are:
- Any player with no kings loses.
- Any player with no legal moves loses.
- Any player who causes a repeated position 3 times loses.
- Any player who captures 5 opponent kings wins (doesn't count if the kings changed to different kind of pieces before they are captured).
NotesA Zillions file is available at: http://zzo38computer.cjb.net/Zillions/Protomorphic.zrf
Requires Z_GenImg library, which can be downloaded at: http://zzo38computer.cjb.net/Zillions/Z_GenImg.zip
This 'user submitted' page is a collaboration between the posting user and the Chess Variant Pages. Registered contributors to the Chess Variant Pages have the ability to post their own works, subject to review and editing by the Chess Variant Pages Editorial Staff.
By (zzo38) A. Black.
Web page created: 2008-11-28. Web page last updated: 2008-11-28