Christian Freeling's Chess VariantsChristian Freeling is a Dutch game designer that has designed several chess variants - some of which have become very succesfull.
Many of these can be found on the Chess Variant Pages (see the list below); for more information and descriptions of all of Christian's chess variants, see the website of Mindsports, by Christian Freeling and Ed van Zon.
- Caïssa. On a 7 by 7 board with disappearing squares.
- Chad. Castles and walls in a strategic deep chess variant.
- Chakra. Variant with fairy pieces and transmitters that can transport pieces.
- Congo. African animals fight in chess variant invented by Demian Freeling.
- Dragonfly. Drop pieces you have taken on a 7 by 7 board.
- Grand Chess. One of the most playable modern large chess variants.
- HexCaïssa. Each player has four pieces on hexagonal board with disappearing squares.
- King's Color. Pieces move depending if they are on the same color squares as the king in hexagonal chess variant.
- Loonybird. Pieces on a seven by seven board move differently when they take.
- Rotary. On a 9 by 9 board with rotating pieces.
- Shakti. On a 7 by 7 board with disappearing squares.
- Yari Shogi. Modern Shogi variant.
WWW page made by Hans Bodlaender.
WWW page created: June 8, 1998.