External LinkThis is a link to an external site for: Shogi for Beginners
Shogi for Beginners
Shogi, the Japanese version of Chess, with more that 15,000,000 adherents, is one of the most popular variants of chess in the world. It is true that shogi is played mainly in Japan but for a game to have attracted such a large and devoted following, with extensive newspaper and television coverage, it must have an appeal that transcends ordinary games. Without doubt, it ranks alongside chess and go as one of the three great classic board gaes.
Shogi for Beginners explains the rules and strategies of shogi clearly and in detail. It covers everything you need to know, from the opening through the endgame, so that you can start playing right away.
13 Jul 2021: Link updated. Old link was:
Web page created: 2000-09-01. Web page last updated: 2006-03-20
- Shogi: Cut-Out Symbolic Shogi Pieces. Make your own Shogi set. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Japanese Chess. Missing description (9x9, Cells: 81) (Recognized!) Author: Hans L. Bodlaender and Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi for Chess Players. Introduction to Shogi geared for western chess players. Author: Douglas Crockford.
- Shogi: Japanese Schaak. Japans schaak (Dutch Language) Author: Hans L. Bodlaender and John William Brown.
- 將棋(日本). 日本的將棋類遊戲 (Chinese Language) Author: Ri S. Huang.
- Diagrammatic Shogi Pieces. Icons of shogi pieces in diagram style. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- EurasiaChess Shogi Graphics. Graphics of shogi pieces mixing European chess symbols & Japanese Kanji. By Emmanuel Baud.
- Motif Shogi Pieces. Motif style Shogi pieces made from photos of wood. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi Pieces. Graphics of shogi pieces and symbols. Author: David Howe.
- Western Shogi Pieces. Icons of shogi pieces in western style. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi Deutschland e. V. . Missing description
- The Shogi Foundation. Organization selling books on Shogi and a portable shogi set.
- Shogi. Play the Japanese form of Chess, in which captured pieces can be dropped back as your own. (Recognized!) Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Homemade Symbolic Shogi Pieces. Photos of pieces made from computer printed stickers on foam board. By Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi Photo. Photo of crafted Shogi set. Author: Victor Vermette.
- Shogi set. Photo's of shogi (Japanese chess) set. Author: Jean-Luc Muraro.
- Shogi set. Photographs of a Shogi set. Author: Hans L. Bodlaender.
- BCMShogi. A versatile and customizable Shogi program. Author: Fergus Duniho. Inventor: Bernard C. Maerz.
- Shocky. A program that plays Shogi. Author: Pauli Misikangas.
- How to Play Shogi. A book on Japanese chess, Shogi.
- Rules for historic Shogi variants. Missing description Author: George F. Hodges.
- Questions and answers: Shogi. Questions and answers about Shogi (Japanese Chess). Author: Hans L. Bodlaender.
- Kasparov's Premiere at Shogi. Chess world champion plays a game of Shogi.
- The Art of Shogi. Information on book on Shogi. Author: Tony Hosking.
- Shogi : Japan's Game of Strategy. Missing description Author: Trevor Leggett.
- 81Dojo. The International Shogi Server. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Elephant Chess Club. Webshop selling internationalized Xiangqi and Shogi sets.
- Shogi Variants Site. Wikipedia dedicated to Shogi Variants. Author: Joseph Peterson.
- Shogi . Westernized version using Alfaerie graphics. Author: David Howe and Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi, Mortal Shogi, and Kamikaze Mortal Shogi . Optimized ZRFs for Japanese Chess and some recent variants. Author: Fergus Duniho.
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID = 'shogi' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID2 = 'shogi' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)