External LinkThis is a link to an external site for: Classified Encyclopedia of Chess Variants
Classified Encyclopedia of Chess Variants: http://www.jsbeasley.co.uk/encyc.htm
This is a new, expanded edition of the original Encyclopaedia of Chess Variants, published in 1994. For this edition over 200 new games have been added, and everything has been classified by type. The material for the book had been prepared by David Pritchard and, following his death in 2005, the text was completed and edited by John Beasley.
Note that several new variants from this site (The Chess Variant Pages) are included in this book! Just to name a few:
- Crazy 38's
- Flip Chess and Flip Shogi
- Omega Chess
- Jumping Chess
- Rolling Kings
- Philosophers Chess
- Take Over Chess
- Life, the Universe and Everything
- Duel Chess
- Outback Chess
- Centennial Chess
- Anti-King Chess II
- Cavalier Chess
- Eurasian Chess
- Kamikaze Mortal Shogi
- Voidrider Chess
- Clockwork Orange Chess
- Thunder Chess
- Interdependent Chess
- British Chess
- Klin Zha
- Toulousain Chess
- Renniassance Chess
- Hexes Chess
- Pocket Mutation Chess
- Separate Realms
- Ruddigore Chess
- Abstract Chess
- The Game of Nemoroth
See also BoardGameGeek's page (where the following image comes from).
18 Aug 2015: Link updated. Old link was:
Author: David B. Pritchard and John Beasley.
Web page created: 2007-05-23. Web page last updated: 2015-08-18
- Interview with David Pritchard. An interview with the author of Popular Chess Variants. Author: Hans L. Bodlaender.
- David Pritchard. Death notice. Author: Mike Adams.
- Encyclopedia of Chess Variants. Book that documents a wide variety of chess variants. Author: David B. Pritchard.
- Encyclopedia of Chess Variants. A review. Author: Philip M. Cohen.
- Popular Chess Variants. A review. Author: Hans L. Bodlaender.
- Popular Chess Variants. Missing description Author: David B. Pritchard.
- Encyclopedia of Chess Variants. This is THE reference book for chess variants! Author: David B. Pritchard.
- Popular Chess Variants. In this book, Pritchard describes twenty chess variants in detail. Author: David B. Pritchard.
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID = 'pritchard' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)