You can execute legal chessmoves on this applet, i.e., it allows you to play chess
against yourself (or someone else sitting behind the same computer screen.)
- To make a move, first (left) click on a piece, and then on its destination square.
- To deselect a piece, (left) click again on the selected piece.
- To castle, (left) click on the king and then on its destination square.
The rook moves automatically with it.
- To go back to the original setup, right click on the board.
- The applet checks legality of the moves, including check (with a few exceptions:
see `known bugs'). Also, it enforces that white and black
alternately make a move, white starting the game.
- The applet does not determine stalemate or mate, draw by repetition, or draw by the
50 moves rule.
- Promotion is automatically to a queen. Minor-promotion is not possible.
This is version 0.03.
There is also a later version.
WWW page and applet by Hans Bodlaender.
WWW page created: December 10, 1997. Last modified: February 24, 1999.