- Actuated Rotating Center Chess. Center rotates, you choose when and how.
- Atlantis Chess. You may sink an edge square instead of moving a unit.
- Berolina Grid Chess. Popular with NOST.
- Billiards Chess. Bishops and queens bounce off the edges.
- Black Hole Chess. Pieces moved to the center four squares of the board fall into your hand.
- Blue Chip Chess. Missing description
- Centerless Chess. No center pawns or squares.
- Central Chess. Move twice per turn, once in center and once on edge.
- Cheshire Cat Chess. When a unit leaves a square, the square vanishes.
- Coalition. Missing description
- Crush Chess. After every 10 moves, the perimeter disappears.
- Cylinder Chess. First and eighth files connect.
- Defensive Chess. White king is not royal, and Red units (except king) cannot go beyond the midline. If White has not won by 50 moves, Red wins.
- Displaced Grid Chess. A Grid Chess variant that allows kings to visit corners, etc.
- Don't Cross Midnight. Chess on a rotating planet; units may not cross the International.
- Eclipse Chess. Units in the eclipse zone cannot move or give check.
- Grid Chess. Always move to a different 4 by 4 square part of the board.
- Ice Age Chess. Blocks of ice cover the board at intervals.
- Joyful Chess. One special square enhances a piece's powers, the other diminishes them.
- Lumberjack. Pieces move according to their current column.
- Michell's Proposal. Pawns may underpromote on next-to-last rank.
- Minefield Chess. Two of your squares have hidden mines that can destroy an enemy unit.
- No Entry Chess. Bar the opponent's access to one square after each of your moves.
- Null Chess. Squares on which captures have taken place can no longer be visited.
- Plaid Chess. Progressive Grid chess.
- Rotation Chess. Every ten turns, you switch and play the other player's units.
- Royal Magician Chess. Missing description
- Royal Pawn. Missing description
- Rubble Chess. Pieces must clear out unoccupied squares before they can move through them.
- Shrink Chess. Emptied rows and columns vanish permanently.
- Shrink Chess II. Emptied edge rows and edge columns vanish permanently.
|31 'Java Program' entries listed||1 'Circular shaped board' entry listed|
|1 'Hidden information' entry listed||1 'In a category all its own' entry listed|
|1 'Each player has a different army' entry listed|
Total items listed: 31