Starts with the letter 'Ar'
- Arabian Nights Chess. Paul Newton's game on the Game Courier. Author: Abdul-Rahman Sibahi. Inventor: Paul E. Newton and Timothy R. Newton.
- Arch Courier. Eric Greenwood's modernization of Courier and Courier Spiel Chess. Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good. Inventor: Eric V. Greenwood.
- Arch-Chancellor Chess. Uses Archbishops instead of Bishops and Chancellors instead of Knights. Author: Dominique Leste and Tony Quintanilla. Inventor: Dominique Leste.
- Archabbott Chess. Introduces the Archabbott piece which moves like Bishop + Wazir + Dabbaba. Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good. Inventor: Eric V. Greenwood.
- Archbishop Chess. Replace one of the marshalls from birds chess with a cardinal and you have Dominique Leste's Archbishop Chess. Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good. Inventor: Dominique Leste.
- Archchess. Late 17th chess variant from Italy on large board with pieces which include modern queen and squirrel. Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good. Inventor: Dr. Francesco Piacenza.
- Arrangement Chess. Swap king & queen before play begins. With mirrored kings and non-mirrored queens (with zrf). By M Winther.
|7 'Play by mail item' entries listed||2 'Large board' entries listed|
|1 'From ancient times' entry listed||1 'Unorthodox shaped board' entry listed|
|1 'In a category all its own' entry listed||1 'Chess combined with some other game or sport' entry listed|
Total items listed: 7