- 3D Shogi. Three dimensional version of Japanese Chess. By Larry L. Smith.
- 3D Xiang Qi. Three dimensional version of Chinese Chess. By Larry L. Smith.
- Abstract Chess . Pieces are really by stacks of stones of different heights, with their move depending on the number of stones. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: João Pedro Neto.
- Accounting Chess . Modern Business Chess: win by capturing or indicting the opposing CEO (King), or bilking all of your Stockholders (Pawns). By Dan Troyka.
- Achernar . ACHERNAR is a mix of the game ALTAIR and Western Chess. By Roberto Lavieri.
- Altair. Altair is a modern game with an oriental flavor. By Roberto Lavieri.
- Amphibian Chess . Pieces capture by leaping when there's a square past the target, or by replacement when the target is on the edge. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Tony Paletta.
- Anti-Relay Tutti-Frutti Chess . Anti-relay is when a piece loses a movement capability it normally does have due to its position relative to another piece. By Michael Nelson.
- Arabian Nights Chess . Large modern variant of historic Shatranj, with more pieces and flying carpets. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Paul E. Newton and Timothy R. Newton.
- Australian Football Chess. Game based on Australian Rules Football and Chess. By Robert Winkel.
- Battle Chieftain Chess . Warriors and a king fight on a board with walls and holes. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Craig Daniel.
- Beastmaster Chess . Large chess variant with a fantasy theme, emphasizing leaping pieces. By Glenn Overby II.
- Beautiful Sun Chess (Meiriqi) . 10x10 blend of FIDE, Shogi, and Xiangqi influences. By Glenn Overby II.
- Bellows Chess . The board expands and contracts from turn to turn. Author: Larry L. Smith. Inventor: Tony Quintanilla.
- Bifocal Chess . A game without capture : win by checkmate with a neutral piece! By Antoine Fourrière.
- Bilateral Chess . Game on 12x8 board adding Lions, switching Cannons, Wizards and pushing Elephants, but keeping the standard array in the middle. By Antoine Fourrière.
- Boolean Rithmomachia . Missing description By Larry L. Smith.
- Border Wars . Game played on the 42 edges of a grid, with elements of Shogi and XiangQi. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Jared B. McComb.
- Border Wars II . Game played on line edges with Shogi-like aspects. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Jared B. McComb.
- Borg Queen. Variant of Star Trek 3D Chess. By Larry L. Smith.
- British Chess ZRF . ZRF for British-themed variant with a royal Queen + Lions, Unicorns & Dragons. By Fergus Duniho.
- Canonical Chess Variants . A family of chess variants that blends Xiang Qi and Western Chess. By Tony Paletta.
- Canopus . Most pieces movements are range-limited. The game play is violent and tense, but fluid. By Roberto Lavieri.
- Catapults of Troy . Large variant with a river, catapults, archers, and trojan horses! Author: Antoine Fourrière. Inventor: Gary K. Gifford.
- Changling Chess. Rooks become Bishops and Bishops become Rooks when moved. By Karl Scherer.
- Chaturanga 4-84 . An Updating of Chaturanga for Four Players with modern pieces on an 84-square board. By Peter Aronson.
- Cheer Chess. All pieces are boosted by sideline Cheerers. By Ken Franklin.
- Chess Olympic . Kings, Queens and Pawns have additional moves, and victory is by capture instead of checkmate. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Redzo Kolakovic.
- Chess on a Larger Board with not so few Pieces Dropped . Game with an interesting mix of Orthochess and Exotic pieces, some of which start in-hand. By Antoine Fourrière.
- Chess on the Rainbows. Players must retain a piece on all 6 colors of a 6-color board.
- Cleopatra Chess . No captures, but your Cleopatra (Queen) can seduce opposing pieces to your side. By Dan Troyka.
- Combining Knightmare Chess . When a single piece other than a Pawn or a King captures, it combines with that piece into a Knightmare either side may move. By Peter Aronson.
- Countdown Queens. Each queen can make at most 7 moves in the whole game.
- Courier 'de la Dama' . Courier Chess with a Modern Queen and other changes for more dynamic play. By Nuno Cruz.
- Cross-Eyed Chess . Two player variant on cross-shaped board. Author: Dan Troyka. Inventor: Uri Bruck.
- Deep Blue versus Kasparov. White and Black each have their own way of winning.
- Delayed Chess. Only see your opponent's moves that are two moves old. Author: Karl Scherer. Inventor: Peter Obermair.
- Delegating Chess . 84 square variant in which pieces delegate moving powers. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: João Pedro Neto.
- Deneb . Special pieces and winning conditions. By Roberto Lavieri.
- Desert Benedict Chess. A hybrid of Desert Chess by Uwe Wiedemann and Benedict Chess by W.D Troyka. By Rich Hutnik.
- Diplomat Chess . Round-board variant with a Diplomat to suborn opponents. By Carlos Martin-Fuertes.
- Double Alternate Chess. Game played on two boards with object to checkmate either King. Inventor: Ken Franklin.
- Elephant Hunt . Ituri Forest Pygmi traditional game with chess-like elements. By Freederick .
- Emperor of China. A Chess and Halma mixed game. By Vincent Everaert.
- En passant Chess. Orthodox chess on a shortened board of only 7 rows. Encourages more en passant moves.
- Epsilon Eridani . A 44-square version of Achernar. By Roberto Lavieri.
- Etcetera . This variant has some elements of Chinese Chess. Also, pieces cannot capture pieces of their own type. By Roberto Lavieri.
- Eurasian Chess . Synthesis of European and Asian forms of Chess. By Fergus Duniho.
- Evolution Chess . Game where pieces add the abilities of pieces they capture. By Harvey Patterson.
- Excelsior . At certain moments in the game, pieces are moved to an additional 5 by 4 area. Author: Dan Troyka. Inventor: Este.
- Fanorona Chess . Variant played on a Fanorona board with capture by approach and by withdrawal. By Peter Aronson.
- First Contact. Variant of Star Trek 3D Chess. By Larry L. Smith.
- Flipworld . Pieces are on both sides of a disc. Author: Dan Troyka.
- Flux 4x4x4 Chess . 3D variant where pieces, excepting the King, can only exist on the field for a specific number of turns at a time. By Larry L. Smith.
- Forward Chess . Download these files to play Forward Chess with Zillions of Games! By Michael Nelson.
- Free-form 4x4x4 Chess . 3D variant based upon several ideas by V. R. Parton for Chess-play on smaller fields. By Larry L. Smith.
- Fugue . Based on Ultima and Rococo this game has pieces that capture in unusual ways. By Michael Nelson.
- Halloween Knight Court . Halloween-themed variant on a tiny board.
- Hanga Roa . Play Hanga Roa with Zillions of Games! Author: Young-Hyun Joo. Inventor: Juan Pablo Schweitzer Kirsinger and Hernán Marcelo Domínguez Placencia.
- Herb Garden Chess . Variant on 7 by 12 board with additional combination pieces. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: William Overington.
- Heroes Hexagonal Chess . Hexagonal variant with special Hero piece which enhances other pieces. By Tony Quintanilla.
- Hexes Chess . Hexes Chess requires fewer chess pieces and a smaller board than conventional chess, but increases the mobility of each piece. Author: Mike Layfield and Tony Quintanilla. Inventor: Mike Layfield.
- Hexetera . Download Hexetera for ZOG! Also includes the game in squares: Etcetera! By Roberto Lavieri.
- Hippodrome. Solitaire game using a small board. Author: Doug Chatham. Inventor: Andy Lewicki.
- Hopgi . Small-board variant of Chessgi with an L-shaped board, linked pairs of Kings, where all pieces can move like a Mao-hoppers. By Peter Aronson.
- Horus . Game with Royal Falcons where all pieces start off board and most captures return pieces to owner's hand. By Peter Aronson.
- Hyperchess. A chess variant on a board representing 4-D space that closely parallels traditional Chess. Author: Larry L. Smith. Inventor: Joe Joyce.
- Hypnotic Chess . You may move opposing pieces your pieces attack. By Dan Troyka.
- Imperial Cheops. Played on a pyramid field of thirteen 3x3x3 cubes. Inspired by a description in Frank Herbert's novel Dune. By Larry L. Smith.
- Infantry Chess . Small chess variant with short range pieces. Author: Uri Bruck. Inventor: Erez Schatz.
- Influence Chess . Pieces on the top or bottom layer influence which chess pieces may move on the middle layer. Author: Jens Markmann. Inventor: Samuel H. Bell.
- Island Chess. Some connections between squares are missing. By Karl Scherer.
- Jacks and Witches 84 . Variant on 84 squares with special pieces and special squares. By Antoine Fourrière.
- Jai-Alai . A sports theme variant with three new pieces: the Superball, the Ball and the Diagball. By Roberto Lavieri.
- Joko Urtaroak . Modern large version of Game of Four Seasons; four player chess variant. By Glenn Overby II.
- King Arthur's Chess 72 . Chess on a round board,. The odd number of files allows the Bishops to access every cell on the board - not colour-bound. By David Cannon.
- King's Leap Chess. Variants with Chancellors (Knight+Rook) and old Russian Queens (Knight+Queen). By David Paulowich.
- Kings or Lemmings?. Normal chess except that a player can produce clones of his king.
- Kobayashi Maru. Variant of Star Trek 3D Chess. By Larry L. Smith.
- Korean vs Western Chess. Red pieces are from Korean Chess, black pieces are from Western Chess.
- Kriegspiel Zillions v 2.0 file . Zillions file to play Kriegspiel against the computer. The human player's pieces are not hidden. By Andreas Kaufmann.
- Leap Chess . Game with manditory captures and other Checkers-like elements on a board of 44 squares. By Ken Franklin.
- Leapers Chess. Played upon a 10x10 field with all the pieces having leaping capability. By Larry L. Smith.
- Lilliputian Monochromatic Alice Chess . All pieces are colorbound, and switch boards rather than switching color. By Peter Aronson.
- Lions and Dragons Chess . Hexagonal variant. Dragons carry a ball to the goal while Wizards avoid capture. By Tony Quintanilla.
- LiQi . Very Strong Chss. By Larry L. Smith.
- Los Alamos Extinction Chess with Bunkers . On 6 by 6 board with two additional bunkers, and extension chess rules. By Doug Chatham.
- Luotuoqi (Camel Chess) . Chess variant designed by committee. Author: Larry L. Smith. Inventor: Various.
- Magi . Variant on 10 by 10 board with new pieces. By Neal Meyer.
- Mamra Chess . Adds the Mamra, a piece that only Pawns may capture. By George Tsavdaris.
- Maxima . Maxima is an interesting and exiting variant of Ultima, with new elements that make Maxima more clear and dynamic. By Roberto Lavieri.
- Maxima . This ZRF enforces the checkmate condition in Maxima. Author: Roberto Lavieri and Joost aan de Brugh. Inventor: Roberto Lavieri.
- Mesmer Chess . ach player has a Mesmerist piece that can move opposing pieces it attacks. By Dan Troyka.
- Michael's Chess. An elaboration of Lord Dunsany's Chess with varying Pawn sides. By Roger Cooper.
- Mike's Camel Chess . Lùotuoqí (Camel Chess) variant with more balanced pieces. By Michael Nelson.
- Mini Slanted Escalator Chess . Chess on smaller asymmetric board. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: David Short.
- Octa-Ashtapada. 8x8x8 variant with powerful armies and the potential for multiple royal pieces per side. By Larry L. Smith.
- Orwell Chess . Three player variant themed on George Orwell's 1984. By Glenn Overby II.
- Outback Chess . New pieces on plus-shaped board. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Timothy R. Newton.
- Panal: a hexagonal chess . A double-royal piece variant on a 61-hex board. By Glenn Overby II.
- Pawn Less Chess . Different pieces, no pawns, and 20 squares removed from the 8 by 8 board. By Uri Bruck.
- Pent-Ashtapada. A hybrid of Maack's Raumschach and Kogbetliantz' 8x8x8 game. By Larry L. Smith.
- The Pit . 10 by 10 board has pit in the middle that can be crossed by Sorcerer piece. By Daniel Roth.
- Pocket Mutation Chess . Take one of your pieces off the board, maybe change it, keep it in reserve, and drop it on the board later. By Michael Nelson.
- Pocket Polypiece Chess 43 . Game with off-board pocket where all pieces of a type change when one piece of a type is moved normally. By Antoine Fourrière.
- Polymorph Chess . Knights and Bishops can morph into each other or into combined pieces. By Greg Strong.
- Pompeii Chess . Variant on board with 25 squares. By Dan Troyka.
- Pool Chess . Queens and Bishops bounce 90 degrees off the board edge. Author: Tony Quintanilla. Inventor: Francisco Quintanilla.
- Prince . 3-D Chess variant using an 8x8x8 board and many new pieces. Author: Larry L. Smith. Inventor: Gavin Smith.
- Prisoner's Escape . Free your Prisoner by getting it to an unattacked square -- a small board version of Anticheckmate Chess. By Peter Aronson.
- PromoChess . Everything but the king can power up. By Glenn Overby II.
- Quintessential Chess . Large chess variant, with some pieces moving with a sequence of Knight moves in a zigzag line. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Jörg Knappen.
- R-Chess . Captured pieces are held in reserve and then dropped. By Marcello Netto.
- Rainbows, Chess on the. Players must retain a piece on all 6 colors of a 6-color board.
- Ramayana Chess . Chess variant inspired by the Ramayana epic. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Luiz Carlos Campos.
- Ravioli Chess . Chess on two boards squeezed together at the edges. By Antoine Fourrière.
- Ready Chess . Pieces cannot capture right after capturing, they have to be restored first. By Tony Quintanilla.
- Rebel Chess . King's Pawn is replaced by Recruiter piece that moves like an Alfil and can change a piece's side. Author: Peter Aronson.
- Regenbogen . Unusual spectrum-based game with Wizards, Clerics and Spirits. Author: Joost Aan de Brugh. Inventor: Jared B. McComb.
- Round Table Chess 84 . Chess on a special round board with 84 squares. By Richard G. VanDeventer.
- Royal Queens Chess . Game with full board and all pieces are sliders or immobile and victory is by capture of all 8 opposing Queens. Inventor: Derek Nalls.
- Ryu Shogi . Large modern shogi variant. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Jared B. McComb.
- Samarcanda . Variant of Mideast Chess with Crooked Bishops. By Nuno Cruz.
- Sankaku Shogi . Small Shogi variant played on a board of 44 triangles with no drops and a teleporting Emperor. By Larry L. Smith.
- Schizophrenic Chess . Game on 12x7 board with Left and Right Schizzys, Bobbers, Teleporters and other exotic pieces. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: David Short.
- Schoolbook . Zillions file for Schoolbook. By Sam Trenholme.
- Seenschach . Variant on 10 by 10 board with lake in the middle and new pieces. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Jörg Knappen.
- Shogi 3D. Three dimensional version of Japanese Chess. By Larry L. Smith.
- Slide Chess . Variant on 44 squares with moving cages. Author: Antoine Fourrière. Inventor: João Pedro Neto.
- Squadron Chess. Uses only one type of piece besides the King. By Ken Franklin.
- Stability Chess. Designed to minimize the first-move advantage by white, maximize fairness, and simplify the rules of chess. Author: Larry L. Smith. Inventor: Various.
- Star Pool Chess . Large variant of Makruk, with a center non-square that acts as a bridge. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Peter Aronson and Tony Quintanilla.
- Storm the Ivory Tower . Play this Smess adaptation of Chinese Chess with Zillions of Games. By Fergus Duniho.
- Switching Chess. In addition to normal moves, switch with an adjacent friendly piece. By Tony Quintanilla.
- Switching Realms Chess . All noncapturing moves must change the board subset a piece occupies. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Jörg Knappen.
- Symmetron! 112 . Large version of Symmetron!, with a third modifier. By Antoine Fourrière and Roberto Lavieri.
- Symmetron! 44 . Most pieces move orthogonally or diagonally according to situation. By Antoine Fourrière and Roberto Lavieri.
- TamerSpiel . Modern large chess variant with elements of historic chess variants. Author: Glenn Overby II. Inventor: Eric V. Greenwood.
- Tandem-84 . Variant on two boards of 7 by 6 rows with pieces moving between boards. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Jim Aikin.
- Tepuy . A territorial game, with unique setup, movement and capturing. By Roberto Lavieri.
- Tetrahedral Chess . 3d chess variant with board in form of tetrahedron. By Mark Thompson.
- This Game is for the Birds . Game where pieces fly past obstacles and some pieces capture by pecking. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Ralph Betza and Peter Aronson.
- Tiled Squares Chess . Drop tiles to create the board as you play. By Tony Quintanilla.
- Tim's 6x6x6 3d chess . 3d chess variant on 6 by 6 by 6 board. By Tim O'Lena.
- Train Wreck Chess . Move your piece, then one of your opponent's, but only forward. By Peter Aronson.
- Transporter Chess . Large variant with transporters and several new pieces. Author: Dan Troyka. Inventor: Andrew P. Newton.
- Transporter Pad. Variant of Star Trek 3D Chess. By Larry L. Smith.
- Tree garden chess . Large chess variant on 10 by 10 board with 4 by 4 area missing from the middle. Author: Mark Thompson. Inventor: William Overington.
- Treeleaders Chess . Download these files to play this large variant with non-similar armies with Zillions of Games! Author: Uri Bruck. Inventor: Erez Schatz.
- Trek71 Chess . All pieces on the lefthand-side are shown as black, but do not change owners, and vise-versa. By Ken Franklin.
- Triumvirate Chess . Uses three Knights. The last remaining opposing Knight must be checkmated as the King. Author: Peter Aronson.
- Trophy Hunt Chess. Capture at least one of each trophy animal to win. Author: Douglas Silfen and Karl Scherer.
- Trubix-43 . Unique piece and lines of movement on an hourglass board. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: David Short.
- Ultimatum . Variant of Ultima that adds a FIDE-Queen and an Advancer in place of one Long-Leaper and one Chameleon. By Roberto Lavieri.
- Ultra Slanted Escalator Chess . Game on an asymmetrical board of 84 squares with Crabs and Ultras. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: David Short.
- Unconventional Warfare Chess . Variant based on modern warfare. Author: Dan Troyka. Inventor: Luiz Carlos Campos.
- Viking Chess . Armies start side-by-side on a 12 x 7 board. By Tomas Forsman.
- Voidrider Chess . A 43 square variant with movable spaces. By Fergus Duniho.
- Warp Factor. Variant of Star Trek 3D Chess. By Larry L. Smith.
- Wizard Chess . Variant on 12 by 7 board with fantasy pieces (includes Advanced Wizard Chess). Author: Jens Markmann. Inventor: Paul E. Newton and Andrew P. Newton.
- Wizard's War . Game with piece-creating Wizards and a board divided into arena and enchanted sections. By Michael Nelson.
- Ziggurat . Mesopotamian-themed variant on a 43 square board. By Glenn Overby II.
- Zone X . Chess with a special central Zone, a new piece, and new moves. By Roberto Lavieri.
Total items listed: 165