- Avalanche Chess. A popular chess variant, where you advance your opponents pawns. (Recognized!) Author: Antoine Fourrière. Inventor: Ralph Betza.
- Balbo's Chess. Board with a strange shape designed to make Bishops stronger in relation to Rooks. Author: Gary K. Gifford. Inventor: M G Balbo.
- Balbo's Chess 2. Balbos Chess 2. Author: wdtr2. Inventor: M G Balbo.
- Big Board Chess. Play Big Board Chess online with Game Courier. Author: Fergus Duniho. Inventor: Alfred Schönfelder.
- Gast's Chess. Large 1969 variant using the Cardinal (Guard) and the Chancellor (Archer). Author: Tony Quintanilla. Inventor: John W. Gast.
- Gorgona Chess. V. R. Parton's Gorgona paralyzes enemy pieces so they can't move (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Knight-Relay Chess. Uncapturable Knights give other pieces the ability to move as Knights. By Carlos Cetina.
- Knightmate. Bruce Zimov's game with 2 Non-Royal Kings and one Royal Knight per side. By Gary K. Gifford.
- Mideast Chess. Cavalier (as Aanca-Gryphon) with Courtier (as zebras), castles (squirrels) and chevaliers (camels) with FIDE pieces. Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good. Inventor: John Mantle Green.
- Mimotaur Chess. Missing description Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good. Inventor: Vernon Rylands Parton.
- Minishogi. A Minishogi association has existed, and may still exist, in Osaka. Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good. Inventor: Shigenobu Kusumo.
- Smess. Play this old Parker Brothers game in which arrows direct movement. (Recognized!) Author: Fergus Duniho. Inventor: Reuben Klamer.
- Tutti-Frutti Chess. With bishop-knight, knight-rook, queen-knight and the usual pieces on an 8 by 8 board. Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good. Inventor: Ralph Betza and Philip M. Cohen.
|13 'Play by mail item' entries listed||3 'Large board' entries listed|
|1 'From ancient times' entry listed||2 'Unorthodox shaped board' entries listed|
Total items listed: 13