- Gast's Chess. Large 1969 variant using the Cardinal (Guard) and the Chancellor (Archer). Author: Tony Quintanilla. Inventor: John W. Gast.
- Gorgona Chess. V. R. Parton's Gorgona paralyzes enemy pieces so they can't move (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Knight-Relay Chess. Uncapturable Knights give other pieces the ability to move as Knights. By Carlos Cetina.
- Knightmate. Play Knightmate, where you win by mating the Knight. Author: Greg Strong.
- Mideast Chess. Cavalier (as Aanca-Gryphon) with Courtier (as zebras), castles (squirrels) and chevaliers (camels) with FIDE pieces. Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good. Inventor: John Mantle Green.
- Minishogi. A Minishogi association has existed, and may still exist, in Osaka. Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good and Armin Liebhart. Inventor: Shigenobu Kusumo.
- Modern Chess. Missing description Author: Jose Carrillo. Inventor: Gabriel Maura.
- Smess. Play this old Parker Brothers game in which arrows direct movement. (Recognized!) Author: Fergus Duniho. Inventor: Reuben Klamer.
- Ultima. Game where each type of piece has a different capturing ability. (Recognized!) Author: Antoine Fourrière and Fergus Duniho. Inventor: Robert Abbott.
|9 'Play by mail item' entries listed||1 'Orthodox chess' entry listed|
|3 'Large board' entries listed||1 'In a category all its own' entry listed|
Total items listed: 9