Starts with the letter 'D'
- The Demon Game. 10 x 10 game with extra Capablanca pieces. Author: Nick Wolff. Inventor: Larry L. Smith.
- Deployment. The initial setup of the pieces is open but hidden from the other player. (8x8, Cells: 64) By Ronald Drinning.
- Descent Chess. Start with a King and two Pawns, then move or drop one of the remaining pieces. (8x8, Cells: 64) By Andreas Kaufmann.
- Descent Chess. Kaufmann's drop variant. Begins with only K + P + P. Recommendable! Author: M Winther. Inventor: Andreas Kaufmann.
- Descent Chess Zillions file. . Start with a King and two Pawns, then move or drop one of the remaining pieces. By Andreas Kaufmann.
- Diagonal chess (well balanced). Diagonal chess with 7 fortified pawns. By Zbigniew Kokosiński.
- Diagonal Quadrant Chess. Pieces start in two of the four by four quadrants of the board. (8x8, Cells: 64) Author: Hans L. Bodlaender. Inventor: Ian Storz.
- Diagonal Quadrant Chess. Different setup and pawn moves. Author: Ed Friedlander. Inventor: Ian Storz.
- Diamondback Chess. Pieces start in corners. (8x8, Cells: 64) By Mike Schneider.
- Diplomatic Chess. The Diplomat replaces the King. (8x8, Cells: 64) and Derrick Fernandez.
- Displacement Chess 2. The most logical step for the evolution of standard Chess: flexible castling and interchange of king and queen for one side. (8x8, Cells: 64) Author: Charles Daniel.
- Displacement Chess 2. Chess with flexible castling, reverse symmetry and no opening theory. By Charles Daniel.
- Displacement Chess 2 . Chess with minor modifications and no opening theory! By Charles Daniel.
- Divided Forces Chess. Half of your army starts on the other side of the board. (8x8, Cells: 64) and David Howe.
- DoGod Random. Pawns and pieces dispersed on first and second ranks. Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good. Inventor: Calvin Jack Pomerantz.
- Doublebarrel Chess. Introducing the Doublebarrel piece, a lethal cannon relative with amazing tactical capabilities (Zillions file downloadable). By M Winther.
- Douglas Modern chess. A chess variant with a more interesting start position, leading to more action. By Ian Douglas.
- Dr. Who Chess. Variant based on the popular TV seiries. By Calvin Jack Pomerantz.
- Dragon Chess. Regular chess army against a single, 3x3, unwieldy but powerful piece. By kittytac.
Total items listed: 19