Starts with the letter 'A'
- Action Man's Chess. A small (5x6) board and simple pieces ensures lots of easy-to-understand action. (5x6, Cells: 30) By Francois Tremblay.
- Afterlife Chess. A game based on Ancient Egyption mythology, played on four boards totaling 42 squares. (Cells: 42) By Luiz Carlos Campos.
- Alapo. Game with abstract pieces. Reach opponents first row on 6 by 6 board. (6x6, Cells: 36) Author: Hans L. Bodlaender. Inventor: Johannes Tranelis.
- Amoeba. Small variant with 38 movable squares. (7x7, Cells: 38) By Jim Aikin.
- Amphora. Chess variant inspired by game of Stone Warriors on wine bottle shaped board with 40 squares. (Cells: 40) By Peter Aronson.
- An-Qi. Played on the squares of half a Xiangqi board but using all the pieces. (8x4, Cells: 32)
- Apocalypse. Small variant of knights and pawns; objective is to take all pawns. Author: Ben M Reiniger. Inventor: C. S. Elliott.
- Arena Chess 42. A non-competing entry in the 42 Squares contest. (Cells: 42) By David Howe.
- Arnhem Chess. Game on board of 38 squares. (6x7, Cells: 38) By Hans L. Bodlaender.
- Asteryx Chess. Hexagonal chess played on an asterisk-shaped board. (Cells: 43) By David Jagger.
|10 'Game' entries listed||10 'Small board' entries listed|
|1 'Oriental' entry listed||1 'Board with hexagonal shaped cells' entry listed|
|1 'In a category all its own' entry listed||1 'Xiangqi, or Xiangqi-based' entry listed|
Total items listed: 10