Starts with the letter 'M'
- Macadamia Shogi. Pieces promote on capture to multi-capturing monsters. (13x13, Cells: 169) By H. G. Muller.
- Machiavellian Chess. Four-player all-against-all game with unusual pieces; also known as Djambi. Inventor: Jean Anesto.
- Macrochess. Missing description (12x12, Cells: 144) By Robert Potter.
- Mad Chess. Chess variant with unequal armies on 10 by 10 board. (10x10, Cells: 100)
- Magi. On 10 by 10 board with new pieces and different outcome rules. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Neal Meyer.
- Magi - A Chess Variant. Variant on 10 by 10 board with new pieces. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Neal Meyer.
- Magic River. Xiang Qi pieces crossing the Magic River turn into their Western counterparts, and vice versa! (17x9, Cells: 77) By John Smith.
- Maha Chatukanga. Variant arranging Chaturanga's paired pieces and all their compounds in the style of Grand Chess. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Charles Gilman.
- Mainzer Schach. Large variant with Janus, Marshall, and different setup. (11x8, Cells: 88) By Jörg Knappen.
- Maka Dai Dai Shogi. Pieces promote on capture, some to multi-capturing monsters. (19x19, Cells: 361) Author: H. G. Muller.
- Mammoth Chess. Large Variant. (10x10, Cells: 96) Author: Fergus Duniho. Inventor: Kevin Begley.
- Manchala Chess. On 10 by 10 board with new pieces. (10x10, Cells: 100)
- MANEVAR a.k.a. Maneuver. Game with infantry, cavalry, and archers and multiple moves per turn. (13x12, Cells: 156) By Bishop Drax.
- Mangonel Chess. Introducing the remarkable Mangonel piece, which can hurl pieces over its head, on a Gustavian board (zrf available). By M Winther.
- Many Worlds Chess. Large variant, inspired by the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. By Adrian King.
- Martian Chess, Jetan. Large variant from the book The Chessmen of Mars. (10x10, Cells: 100) Author: Jean-Louis Cazaux and Hans L. Bodlaender. Inventor: Edgar Rice Burroughs.
- Matrix Chess. Chess played on a tessellation of pentagons and diamonds. The name comes from the matrix in which diamonds are found. (14x14, Cells: 196) By David Cannon.
- Mega-Chess. A chess game where each piece is a chess game! (8x8x64, Cells: 4096) By David Howe.
- Mega-rajah and the Super-sepoys. Large-board version of Maharajah and Sepoys with new pieces. (8x8, Cells: 64) By Daniel Robert MacDuff.
- Megachess. Played on 6 boards arranged in a 2 by 3 grid. (24x16, Cells: 384) By Fred Lange.
- Mêlée. Variant on 9 by 9 board with 9 different pieces and castle square that must be occupied. (9x9, Cells: 81) By C. George Boeree.
- Meridian Chess. Introducing the Meridian, bishop-capture combined with bifurcated bounce-move, on an H-board (zrf available). By M Winther.
- Metamachy. Large game with a variety of regular fairy pieces. Author: H. G. Muller. Inventor: Jean-Louis Cazaux.
- Microorganism Chess. A 16x16 board with pieces that behave like micro-organisms. (16x16, Cells: 256) By Mark Hedden.
- Mideast chess. Variant on 10 by 10 board, inspired by ancient Tamerlane chess. (10x10, Cells: 100) Author: Hans L. Bodlaender. Inventor: John Mantle Green.
- Millennial Chess. Variant on 12 by 12 board with new pieces. (12x12, Cells: 144) By John William Brown.
- Millennium Chess . Commercial variant on 15 by 8 board with almost twice the normal set of pieces.
- Mimic Chess. Chess on a larger board with 3 new pieces with constantly changing movement capabilities. By Nick Wolff.
- Mini Citadel Chess. Mate the king or occupy a citadel of your opponent. (8x8, Cells: 68) By A.J. Winkelspecht.
- Minigolf Chess on a Really Big Board. Pieces have momentum, bounce against the walls, and can be spinned in variant on 8 by 16 board. (16x8, Cells: 128) By Ralph Betza.
- Missing Ox Chess. 4 distinguishable FIDE sets represent pieces starting with 24 different letters. (16x16, Cells: 256) By Charles Gilman.
- MiTaWi. A variant combining elements on Mitregi, Taijitu Qi, and Wildeurasian Qi. (14x12, Cells: 64) By Charles Gilman.
- Mitosis Chess. Each captured major piece in this game returns to the board as the two or three pieces it originally consisted of. (9x9, Cells: 81) By Alex Malphrus.
- Mitred Framing 1: 8x8 to 10x10. Adding a rim of forward-only pieces around a FIDE-size board. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Charles Gilman.
- Mitred Framing 2: 9 files to 10x10. Puts most pieces of 9-file variants on FIDE board and adds extra rim including middle-file piece and Shogi-style extras. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Charles Gilman.
- Mitregi with compounds of duals. An extra border around the Gnuqi and Wildebishogi array houses forward-only counterparts. (11x11, Cells: 121) By Charles Gilman.
- Mitsugumi Shogi. Smaller variant of Suzumu Shogi on a 13x13 board. By Adam DeWitt.
- Mob Strategy. Mob Strategy, The Takeover Game, presented by The Game Pile. By Jeff Rients.
- Modern Chess. Variant on a 9 by 9 board with piece that combines bishop and knight moves. (9x9, Cells: 81) Author: Hans L. Bodlaender. Inventor: Gabriel Maura.
- Modern Courier Chess. An article from Variant Chess discussing the game. (12x8, Cells: 96) Author: Paul Byway.
- Modern Courier Chess . An attempt to reform the courier game by emulating the development of modern chess. By Paul Byway.
- Modern English Random Chess. Missing description (10x10, Cells: 100) By Jose Carrillo.
- Modern Kamil. Two variants that add the Camel to the standard Orthochess array on enlarged boards. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Nuno Cruz.
- Modern Minister's Courier Chess. Missing description (11x8, Cells: 88) By Jose Carrillo.
- Modern Prime Ministers Random Chess. Missing description (9x8, Cells: 72) By Jose Carrillo.
- Modern Prime-Ministers Chess. Missing description (9x8, Cells: 72) By Jose Carrillo.
- Modern Random Chess. Missing description (9x9, Cells: 81) By Jose Carrillo.
- Monster Bluff Chess. On 10 boards put together, with putting stakes on squares. (32x24, Cells: 640) By Dale Holmes.
- Mortal Shogi. A Shogi variant in which pieces aren't all immortal. (9x9, Cells: 81) Author: Fergus Duniho. Inventor: Roberto Lavieri and Fergus Duniho.
- Mortar Chess. Introducing another piece named Mortar, a form of cannon, on an H-shaped board. Positionally advanced. With zrf. By M Winther.
- Murmillo Chess. Introducing the Murmillo piece, and new collision-capture, on a Gustavian board (zrf available). By M Winther.
- Mythical Fantasy Conquest. A large variant with new fantasy pieces. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Lim Ther Peng.
Total items listed: 52