Starts with the letter 'A'
- A9 HexaChess (Imperial Grand HexaChess). Large variant of Grand Hexachess. (Cells: 169) By Graeme C Neatham.
- Abecedarian Big Chess (ABChess). Buy-your-own-army variant on a big board; 26 piece types. (11x11, Cells: 121) By Glenn Overby II.
- Aberg's variation of Capablanca's Chess. Different setup and castling rules. (10x8, Cells: 80) By Hans Aberg.
- Achernar. ACHERNAR is a mix of the game ALTAIR and Western Chess. (9x9, Cells: 81) By Roberto Lavieri.
- Advanced Wizard Chess. Chess variant on 10 by 10 board with fantasy chess pieces. (10x10, Cells: 100) Author: Paul E. Newton. Inventor: Paul E. Newton and Andrew P. Newton.
- Against the Odds. Missing description (16x16, Cells: 256) By Daniel Robert MacDuff.
- Agincourt. Decimal variant with Archers. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Charles W. Stinson.
- Aieirping Chess. Missing description (29x14, Cells: 406) By (zzo38) A. Black.
- Aire. River variant on H-shaped board, some parts of camps further back than others. (8x12, Cells: 72) By Charles Gilman.
- Airplane Chess. Schmittberger's big-board variant featuring the very mobile Airplane (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Ajax Bigamous Chess. Bigamy meets Ajax Orthodox Chess! (9x8, Cells: 72) By Jose Carrillo.
- Ajax Chess. All pieces have can play one square in any direction, the Mastodon leaper complements the Knight. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Jose Carrillo.
- Ajax Falcon Chess. Ajax Chess on a 10x8 board with two Ajax Falcon drops. (10x8, Cells: 100) By Jose Carrillo.
- Ajax Modern Random Chess. Missing description (9x9, Cells: 81) By Jose Carrillo.
- Ajax-Capablanca Chess. Ajax-Chessmen on a 10x8 Capablanca Board! (10x8, Cells: 80) By Jose Carrillo.
- Al-Ces. Variant on 10 by 10 board with 30 pieces per player. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Köksal Karakus.
- Alibishogi. Variant with Shogi-style promotion and drops themed on Alibaba and 40 Thieves. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Charles Gilman.
- Alien and Predators Symmetric. Missing description (10x10, Cells: 100) By (zzo38) A. Black.
- Aliens vs Predators. Missing description (10x10, Cells: 100) By Namik Zade.
- Alpha Centauri. A very complex game, somewhat exotic, with some elements from Rococo. (9x9, Cells: 81) By Roberto Lavieri.
- Alseid Chess. Introducing the Alseid, which moves like a queen but cannot capture. Instead it can kidnap piece behind a screen (zrf exists). By M Winther.
- Altair. Altair is a modern game with an oriental flavor. (9x9, Cells: 81) By Roberto Lavieri.
- Amazon Grand Chess. A combination of Grand Chess and Amazon Chess. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Namik Zade.
- Amazons. Amazons and a computer version. Inventor: Walter Zamkauskas.
- American Chess. Large variant. Remove Generals from center columns to win. By Andy Thomas.
- Amiral Chess. Introducing the Amiral piece and the bounce-capture method on a Gustavian board (zrf available). By M Winther.
- Angel Chess. D'Autremont's very aggressive variant featuring Amazons that cannot be exchanged (with zrf). Author: M Winther. Inventor: L. P. D'Autremont.
- Antarctic Chess or Predators and Penguins. Penguins seek safety at the ice-pack's centre. Can the Predators stop them? (Cells: 295) By Graeme C Neatham.
- Apothecary Chess-Classic. Large board variant obtained through tinkering with known games. By Aurelian Florea.
- Apothecary Chess-Modern. Large board variant obtained through tinkering with known games. By Aurelian Florea.
- Arabian Nights Chess. Large modern variant of historic Shatranj, with more pieces and flying carpets. (11x9, Cells: 84) Author: Paul E. Newton. Inventor: Paul E. Newton and Timothy R. Newton.
- Archchess. Large chess variant from 17th century Italy. (10x10, Cells: 100) Author: Hans L. Bodlaender. Inventor: Dr. Francesco Piacenza.
- ArchCourier Chess. This game is Courier Chess expert Eric Greenwood's modernization of Courier Chess. (12x8, Cells: 96) By Eric V. Greenwood.
- Armis. 100 square board with 15 piece types. By Armis Game.
- Assassination Chess. On a 10 by 10 board with teleporters and assassins. (10x10, Cells: 100) and Seth Blanchard. and Seth Blanchard.
- Atlantean Barroom Shatranj. Atlantean Barroom Shatranj Rules. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Joe Joyce.
- Attendance Chess. 10 piece types that can move to 10 squares each, mostly. (10x10, Cells: 100) By Erez Schatz.
- Attrition Chess. Played on an 11x10 board, each player starts with 33 pieces. (11x10, Cells: 110) By Nathan James.
- Avon. Four-player game; two players sharing the White and two the Black pieces. (8x10, Cells: 80) By Charles Gilman.
- Azchess. Missing description (10x10, Cells: 100) By Namik Zade.
Total items listed: 40