Starts with the letter 'W'
- Wa Shogi. Large Shogi variant from the 17th century or earlier. Author: Douglas Silfen.
- The War of the Stars . Missing description By Namik Zade.
- War of the Worlds . Chess army from planet Earth against the Martian forces of Jetan. By Jean-Louis Cazaux.
- Warp Factor. Variant of Star Trek 3D Chess. By Larry L. Smith.
- Warp Point Chess. Knights are replaced by Warp Points that other pieces can move between. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Jason Shields.
- Way of the Knight . Pieces with experience levels: a `role playing variant'. Author: Glenn Overby II and Sam Trenholme. Inventor: Ralph Betza.
- The Weak Square of the Jumping King . Kings start jumping around, dropping the other pieces on a board with 38 squares. By João Pedro Neto.
- Weak! . Black has 7 knights, and 16 pawns, White the usual array. Author: Uwe Wiedemann.
- Weakest Chess . Pieces are as weak as possible while still retaining chess-like qualities. Author: David Howe. Inventor: Ralph Betza.
- Weave and Dungeon . Abstract game played on a board divided into Weave and Dungeon, with movement following different rules on each part. By Dan Troyka.
- Whale Shogi. Small Shogi variant. Author: Douglas Silfen and Karl Scherer. Inventor: R. Wayne Schmittberger.
- Where Eagles Fly . Missing description By Michael Nelson.
- White Elephant Chess . Four variants pitting the white Elephant army against black with the normal FIDE array. By Peter Aronson.
- Wild Jokers . 7 by 7 board with 8 pits and various pieces, including jokers that can make successive jumps across pit. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Jeff `Cavebear` Stroud.
- Wildebeest Chess . Variant on an 10 by 11 board with extra jumping pieces. Author: Jean-Louis Cazaux. Inventor: R. Wayne Schmittberger.
- Windows Chess . Windows Chess is played on a board inspired by an arch window in my neighbourhood. By David Cannon.
- Wizard Chess . Variant on 12 by 7 board with fantasy pieces (includes Advanced Wizard Chess). Author: Jens Markmann. Inventor: Paul E. Newton and Andrew P. Newton.
- Wizard's War . Game with piece-creating Wizards and a board divided into arena and enchanted sections. By Michael Nelson.
- Wolf Chess. Half-century old variant on 8 x 10 board with many unusual pieces. Author: Ivan Derzhanski. Inventor: Dr. Arno von Wilpert.
- Wormhole Chess . When a piece leaves a square, it `folds' together. By Fergus Duniho.
- Wreckage! . Features 3 new pieces: the Detonator, Dragon and the Flying Guillotine plus 5 Ninja Pawns. By Charles Daniel.
Total items listed: 21