Starts with the letter 'I'
- IAGO Chess ZRF file. ZRF file for IAGO Chess rules. By Rich Hutnik.
- iChess . Missing description By Pangus Ho.
- Illusionary Piece Chess . A piece and a Pawn on each side are more powerful, but can not offer check or prevent bare King. By Peter Aronson.
- Imperial Cheops. Played on a pyramid field of thirteen 3x3x3 cubes. Inspired by a description in Frank Herbert's novel Dune. By Larry L. Smith.
- Imperial Dragon . A variant of Xiangqi designed to appeal to western players. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Paul Fredrix.
- Infantry Chess . Small chess variant with short range pieces. Author: Uri Bruck. Inventor: Erez Schatz.
- Influence Chess . Pieces on the top or bottom layer influence which chess pieces may move on the middle layer. Author: Jens Markmann. Inventor: Samuel H. Bell.
- Insane . Pieces change to random type when they move. Author: Marek14 . Inventor: Jari Huikari.
- Insane Ninja Chess . Featuring 2 pairs of powerful multi-directional leaping pieces capable of double capture. By Charles Daniel.
- Insect Chess . On a 12x12 board. All pieces are insect and arachnid representations, with some unique pieces. By Tim Bostick.
- Interdependent Chess . A 42 square variant in which pieces borrow capturing ability from other pieces. By Fergus Duniho.
- InterGrid Chess . Pieces on corners and on centers of squares of 8 by 8 board. By David Howe.
- Interweave . Game with elements of Checkers and Ultima where all pieces are colorbound and only capture pieces on the other color. By Peter Aronson.
- Invasion . A military inspired Chess variant played on an 84-squares board. By Jean-Louis Cazaux.
- Inverse Capture Chess . Pieces are captured the way they move. Author: Antoine Fourrière. Inventor: Ralph Betza.
- The Invisible Man . Missing description By Namik Zade.
- Iron Guard Chess. Instead of a queen, white has an Iron Guard who can move only to adjacent diagonal squares and cannot be captured. Author: Douglas Silfen.
- Island Chess. Some connections between squares are missing. By Karl Scherer.
- Iss Jetan . Missing description By Larry L. Smith.
- Ito Shogi . Missing description Author: Malcolm Webb. Inventor: Jonathan H Rutherford.
Total items listed: 20