- Archchess. Late 17th chess variant from Italy on large board with pieces which include modern queen and squirrel.
- Chaturanga. Oldest known form of chess. (Recognized!)
- Courier Chess. A large historic variant from Medieval Europe.
- The Duke of Rutland's Chess. Missing description
- Gala. Historical German variant from the Middle Ages.
- Grande Acedrex. Missing description
- Great Chess. An Indian/Turkish and very playable historic variant on a 10 by 10 board.
- Gustav III's Chess. Invented by King Gustav III of Sweden (1746-92).
- Nilakantha's Intellectual Game. 17th or 18th century Indian chess variation.
- Ninth Century Indian Chess. Differs from Shatranj in the setup and the Elephant's move.
- Paulovits's Game. Istv.
- Shatra. Old game from the Altai from Russia, on special shaped board with draughts-like capture.
- Shatranj. The widely played historic Arabian game, predecessor of modern chess. (Recognized!)
- Shatranj Al-Husun - Citadel Chess. Historical variant of Shatranj.
- Shatranj Kamil. Shatranj Kamil or "Perfect Chess" a historical variant combining alfils, camels rooks and ferz.
- Turkish Great Chess, variation II. Gollon's large historical variant.
- Turkish Great Chess, variation III. John Gollon's third out of six variations on Great Chess.
- Turkish Great Chess, variation IV. Play this variation of Great Chess by e-mail!
|20 'Play by mail item' entries listed||11 'Large board' entries listed|
|1 'Oriental' entry listed||20 'From ancient times' entries listed|
|2 'Unorthodox shaped board' entries listed||2 'In a category all its own' entries listed|
Total items listed: 20