The Chess Variant Pages
Custom Search




[ Help | Earliest Comments | Latest Comments ]
[ List All Subjects of Discussion | Create New Subject of Discussion ]
[ List Latest Comments Only For Pages | Games | Rated Pages | Rated Games | Subjects of Discussion ]

Comments/Ratings for a Single Item

Later Reverse Order Earlier
This item is a game information page
It belongs to categories: Orthodox chess, 
It was last modified on: 2018-07-16
 Author: Ri S.  Huang. 將棋(日本)(Shogi). 日本的將棋類遊戲 (Chinese Language)[All Comments] [Add Comment or Rating]
Fergus Duniho wrote on 2018-07-14 UTC

I ran some tests on a test submission without corrupting it. I then backed up this one and edited some links on it without it getting corrupted. The database backup indicates that the corruption of this submission happened back when the MemberSubmissions table was still using the default latin1_swedish_ci collation. It looks like the use of the utf8_general_ci collation has prevented the contents of this page from being corrupted again, and it looks like CKEditor is not doing anything to corrupt the text.


Fergus Duniho wrote on 2018-07-12 UTC

I got the original title from Archive.org and added it directly to the database. Before doing that, I tried the edit form again. The title looked fine there, and when I saved the form contents, it still looked bad on the page and in the database. I tried it again, this time pasting the title I got from Archive.org, but I got the same results. So I pasted it directly into the database, and that worked.


Fergus Duniho wrote on 2018-07-12 UTC

I added LANG="zh" to the BODY tag, and this allowed Google translate to work. I skimmed over the text, and it looked like a translation of my Shogi page. So I added myself as an author. However, it now looks like the title got screwed up when I did this.


Fergus Duniho wrote on 2018-07-11 UTC
I came across this page today, because Google Search Console informed me of a bad link on it. When I came across it, it was filled with gobbledygook instead of Chinese characters. Thinking that this could have been because of attempts to enforce unicode consistently, I found a copy on Archive.org that was still in Chinese, and I re-entered the Chinese text here. I also updated the links at the end to match the English links on the English Shogi page, though I didn't group them into sections, because I can't read or write Chinese. Noticing some English text in the links, I went to edit it again, and all the text was in gobbledygook again. But when I turned off Javascript, it was back in Chinese, which allowed me to make my edits by inserting the Chinese character the translator was using for "by". So, it looks like the gobbledygook was caused by using CKEditor. Maybe CKEditor is expecting a different character set than unicode. I'll have to look into this.

4 comments displayed

Later Reverse Order Earlier

Permalink to the exact comments currently displayed.