The Chess Variant Pages
Custom Search

[ Help | Earliest Comments | Latest Comments ]
[ List All Subjects of Discussion | Create New Subject of Discussion ]
[ List Latest Comments Only For Pages | Games | Rated Pages | Rated Games | Subjects of Discussion ]

Comments/Ratings for a Single Item

Later Reverse Order Earlier
This item is a game information page
It belongs to categories: Orthodox chess, 
It was last modified on: 2003-10-04
 By Charles  Gilman. Gross Raumschach. Larger, 4-player version of Raumschach. (6x6x6, Cells: 216) [All Comments] [Add Comment or Rating]
Charles Gilman wrote on 2010-05-10 UTC
You will see here that I don't do 4d. The nearest that I get is a third kind of diagonal on the hex-prism 3d geometry.

Anonymous wrote on 2010-05-10 UTC
Queen's move can also be read as 'any number of steps in any straight direction'. In 3d it's orthogonal, diagonal and triagonal. If there are no any compounds of only 2 straight directions in 2d game, better name for compound of all 3 is queen. However, if game have both orthogonal+diagonal and orthogonal+diagonal+triagonal, better name for first is queen, and empress for second. Buy the way, which name may be used for 4d queen (i mean, compound rook+bishop+unicorn+4d mover)?

Dave wrote on 2009-12-30 UTCExcellent ★★★★★
I am a HUGE Raumschach fan, but this game blew me away. Are there any plans to commercialize this game, or maybe to 'ZILLIONS-ize' it?

Thanks for creating it !!!!!


Charles Gilman wrote on 2003-10-25 UTC
My choices of name are based on consistency between 2d and 3d Chess. 2d Queens have been Rook+Bishop for centuries, and 2d Kings are even older. That's what I call classic. Among other inventors' variants Five Up has this Queen and Quadlevel, which uses neither the triagonal nor the same-rank diagonal, an even weaker one combining its own correspondingly weak Bishop with the Rook. Both games have Kings even weaker than mine. Of the uses you mention for Empress, R+B+N is very rare but has some affinity to R+B+U as being a triple compound, while R+N is mainly a problematist's usage. From other pages on this site I have observed a general preference for calling R+N a Marshal, which preference I have since supported in some of my 2d games.

L. Lynn Smith wrote on 2003-10-08 UTC
The classic name of a 3D piece which slides only orthogonal and diagonal is 'Favourite'. The classic name of a 3D piece which slides orthogonal, diagonal and triagonal is 'Queen'. The classic name of a 3D piece which steps orthogonal, diagonal and triagonal is 'King'. I am un-aware of any unique name for a 3D piece which steps only orthogonal and diagonal. But this too has often been called a 'King'. I propose the name 'Regent'. In the Maka-Dai-Dai Shogi variant, an 'Emperor' can leap to any cell on the playing field which is not under attack. A very powerful piece, but vulnerable since its capture is the goal of the game. The name 'Empress' has been applied to the 2D piece which combines the Rook and Knight movement. It has also been applied to the 2D piece called 'Amazon' which combines the Queen and Knight movement. I write this not to criticize but merely to inform. A developer has every right to call their pieces what they wish.

5 comments displayed

Later Reverse Order Earlier

Permalink to the exact comments currently displayed.