- 10-directionaI Chess . Chess using the army invented by Jorg Knappen. It also includes his suggested variants of CwDA using his army. By Nick Wolff.
- Almost Chess . One queen has combined rook and knight moves. Author: Uwe Wiedemann. Inventor: Ralph Betza.
- Anti-King Chess . Each player has both a King and an Anti-King to protect; Anti-Kings are in check when not attacked. By Peter Aronson.
- Bario . Pieces are undefined until they move. Author: M Winther. Inventor: Panos Louridas.
- Barion . A variant of the chess variant Bario. By M Winther.
- Beginners Chess. Missing description By Stephane Burkhart.
- Chazz . Only kings and pawns. Pawns can move backwards. Author: Uwe Wiedemann.
- Chess 2000 . Chess on 8 by 8 board with knight/rook and knight/bishop pieces. Author: Uwe Wiedemann. Inventor: Gerhard Josten.
- Chess without pawns . Variant where only kings can take and no pawns are used. Author: Mats Winther. Inventor: Vladislav Rapetsky.
- Chessling . Variant where the board starts empty and each player can move or drop a piece, and the goal is capture of all opposing pieces. Author: Marek14 . Inventor: How-Hie Ling.
- ChessVariants.zrf. 17 variants in 1 file. By (zzo38) A. Black.
- Chigorin Chess. White has knights instead of bishops and a chancellor for his queen; black has bishops instead of knights. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Ralph Betza.
- Descent Chess Zillions file. . Start with a King and two Pawns, then move or drop one of the remaining pieces. By Andreas Kaufmann.
- Fianchetto Chess . Rooks and bishops switched in opening setup. Author: Marek14 . Inventor: Jack Middleman.
- Fischer Random Chess . Play from a random setup. Author: Pierre Tourigny. Inventor: Robert J. Fischer.
- Fool's Chess. One pawn is replaced by a Fool. By Danny Van den Berghe.
- Free Placement chess . Game starts with players alternatingly placing pieces on board. Author: Marek14 . Inventor: Roger Cooper.
- FreePawnChess. Chess with more powerful pawns. By Ronald W Brierley.
- French Revolution Chess . Advanced pawns threaten the noble pieces. Author: Marek14 . Inventor: Hans L. Bodlaender.
- FullBoard Chess . Missing description By Ken Franklin.
- Iron Guard Chess. Instead of a queen, white has an Iron Guard who can move only to adjacent diagonal squares and cannot be captured. Author: Douglas Silfen.
- King's Leap Chess. Variants with Chancellors (Knight+Rook) and old Russian Queens (Knight+Queen). By David Paulowich.
- Knightmate-Relay Chess . Played with a royal-knight and special movement rules for pieces a knight's move away. By Peter Aronson.
- Legan's Chess . Normal set and board, different setup and pawn moves. Author: Marek14 . Inventor: L. Legan.
- Legler's Chess . Modest 1926 variant using an Archbishop and a Chancellor. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Hugo Legler.
- LiQi . Very Strong Chss. By Larry L. Smith.
- Magna Carta Chess. lack has the FIDE array, White has a Marshal and an Archbishop instead of a Queen and King. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Charles Gilman.
- Maxima . This ZRF enforces the checkmate condition in Maxima. Author: Roberto Lavieri and Joost aan de Brugh. Inventor: Roberto Lavieri.
- Maxima . Maxima is an interesting and exiting variant of Ultima, with new elements that make Maxima more clear and dynamic. By Roberto Lavieri.
- Michael's Chess. An elaboration of Lord Dunsany's Chess with varying Pawn sides. By Roger Cooper.
- Neutral King Chess . V.R. Parton's game where two armies share a King both must try to mate. Author: Peter Aronson. Inventor: Vernon Rylands Parton.
- Paulowich's Chancellor Chess . A proposal to play chancellor chess with chancellors and queens in the corner on 8 by 8 board. Author: Marek14 . Inventor: David Paulowich.
- Pawn Massacre Chess. Non-pawn pieces swap initial ranks. By Jeff `Cavebear` Stroud.
- Pawn-Only Chess . Training chess variant. Only pawns, first promotion wins. Author: Marek14 .
- Pierre Menard's Chess Variant. As described by Jorge Luis Borges. By Jeff Rients.
- R-Chess . Captured pieces are held in reserve and then dropped. By Marcello Netto.
- Reduced Endgame Chess . Two kings and six pawns are used for practicing endgames. Author: Uwe Wiedemann.
- Rolling Kings . Kings must move along a predetermined path. By Peter Aronson.
- Royal Queens Chess . Game with full board and all pieces are sliders or immobile and victory is by capture of all 8 opposing Queens. Inventor: Derek Nalls.
- Ruddigore Chess . Chessgi variant where you can capture your own pieces, and every other turn you must capture or sacrifice a piece. By Peter Aronson.
- Separate . Queens start trapped behind enemy lines. Author: Uwe Wiedemann. Inventor: Brian Wong.
- Skandaran Chess. Download Skandaran Chess at Zillions Website. By Francisco Marzoa.
- Skirmish Chess . Pawns start on the 3rd and 6th ranks with no double-move, pieces on the 2nd and 7th ranks. Author: Marek14 . Inventor: Tony Paletta.
- Squadron Chess. Uses only one type of piece besides the King. By Ken Franklin.
- The Black Ghost . Black gets a teleporting Ghost piece that can not capture to balance White's first move advantage. Author: Antoine Fourrière. Inventor: Ralph Betza.
- Toe to Toe Chess . A variant of Sittuyin (Burmese Chess) with alternating setup, and powerful, short-range pieces. By Peter Aronson.
- Transpose Chess . Sideways board, promote your pawns quickly. By Köksal Karakus.
- Triumvirate Chess . Uses three Knights. The last remaining opposing Knight must be checkmated as the King. Author: Peter Aronson.
|51 'Zillions of Games file' entries listed||1 'Large board' entry listed|
|1 'Hidden information' entry listed||2 'In a category all its own' entries listed|
|9 'Each player has a different army' entries listed|
Total items listed: 51