- Adjutant Chess. Regular chess with extended castling, and extra corner squares. Makes new strategies possible (+zrf). By M Winther.
- Ajax Orthodox Chess. Orthodox Chess with Ajax-Chessmen, and droping Ajax-Ministers. By Jose Carrillo.
- Alpaca Chess. An Alpaca, worth two pawns, is added to the standard piece context (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Arrangement Chess. Swap king & queen before play begins. With mirrored kings and non-mirrored queens (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Castle Chess. As Fide-chess, but with extended castle: the king may jump three squares (with zrf). By M Winther.
- CGNP chess. A game with Knightly Pawns. By Abdul-Rahman Sibahi.
- Chess 25 (Fischer Placement Chess). Swap king and/or queen before play begins. Follows FRC rules (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Chess with Extended Castle. Standard chess with extended castle rule, effectuating greater opening variance (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Chess100. Piece positions are modestly randomized according to Arrangement Chess rules, castling is retained (+ zrf). By M Winther.
- Chess400. Piece setup is randomized according to Configuration Chess rules, producing 400 modest, mostly non-mirrored, positions (+ zrf). By M Winther.
- Chess484. Before play, certain pieces are regrouped, creating natural positions. Castling is retained (+ zrf). By M Winther.
- Chess64. The piece array is moderately randomized according to Relocation Chess rules, castling is retained. By M Winther.
- Configuration Chess. King and queen swap with other pieces before play begins - enormous variety! (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Crab Chess (Chess4). Blocked flank pawns are have an additional jump move to empty square (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Dragonet Chess. The Dragonet flies to any square queenwise, captures piece behind landing square (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Dynamo Chess. Preset for Dynamo Chess. Author: Adrian Alvarez de la Campa. Inventor: Hans Kluever.
- Extrapawn Chess. Standard chess with one extra pawn per player in the reserve (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Flexible Chess (F-chess). The light pieces are external and can move from any empty first rank square (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Multiple of 10 Checkmate. Variant where you can only checkmate or be checkmated on move 10, 20, 30, ect.. By Calvin Jack Pomerantz.
- Near Chess Preset. This is the preset for Near Chess. By Rich Hutnik.
- Nonary Chess. King or queen are optionally swapped with a bishop before play begins (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Peasant Revolt. Modest variant with unequal setup. Author: Tony Quintanilla. Inventor: George Whelan.
- Placement Chess. King and queen are swapped before play begins, generating FRC subset (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Placement Random Chess (Chess 20). The piece setup is randomized following Placement Chess rules, generating 20 modest Fischer Random positions. By M Winther.
- Pyrrhus Chess. The Pyrrhus moves like a king but paralyzes enemy pieces at queen's distance (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Racing Kings. Missing description By Abdul-Rahman Sibahi.
- Reformed Chess. Pawn can swap with an enemy piece located on the last rank, except king. Thusly, many more won endgames (zrf available). By M Winther.
- Regement Random Chess. The Secutor is a bifurcation piece that must bounce in order to capture (+zrf). By M Winther.
- Regiment Chess. Black determines king position, white can swap the queen before play begins (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Regiment Random Chess. The Secutor is a bifurcation piece that must bounce in order to capture (+zrf). By M Winther.
- Relocation Chess. Swap a pair of your own pieces before you begin. With Fischer Random castling rules. By M Winther.
- Revised Chess. A revision of Fide-chess: a pawn on the seventh rank can also capture forwards. Makes chess much less drawish (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Royal Magician's Chess. King and special magician piece earn the right to drop pieces when they venture out to the fourth, fifth and sixth ranks! Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good. Inventor: Gary K. Gifford.
- Smaller Alice Chess. Missing description Author: Abdul-Rahman Sibahi. Inventor: Vernon Rylands Parton.
- Swedish Hopper Chess. Features the Swedish Hopper. By Abdul-Rahman Sibahi.
- Valiant Chess. Knight pawns at the fifth rank have an additional jump move to empty square (with zrf). By M Winther.
- Wuss. Introducing the weakening Wuss piece, which must move when attacked but can not capture. Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good. Inventor: Dan Troyka.
|39 'Play by mail item' entries listed||1 'Three dimensional' entry listed|
|1 'Large board' entry listed||1 'Unorthodox shaped board' entry listed|
|1 'In a category all its own' entry listed||2 'Chess combined with some other game or sport' entries listed|
Total items listed: 39