Item Index Information
Whale Shogi is a Zillions-of-Games file. It is categorized as: Two dimensional, Small board, Oriental, ShogiBased. This item is located on a site outside of chessvariants.org.
Whale Shogi. Small Shogi variant.
Author: Douglas Silfen and Karl Scherer. Inventor: R. Wayne Schmittberger.
Whale Shogi is a variant of Shogi, Japanese chess. However, unlike most other Shogi-variants, Whale Shogi roots are not in Japan, but in the U.S., and the game also is mostly played outside Japan (although it is not clear how often). It was invented in 1981 by R. Wayne Schmittberger (the author of New Rules for Classic Games); however, he does not mention Whale Shogi in this book. As is more common in Shogi variants, the inventor has named all pieces after a kind of animal: in this case all are whales and related animals.
The board used for this game has 6 row(s), 6 column(s), 36 cells/squares.
This game is a 2 player game.
Invented in the year 1981. [1980-1982]. [1976-1986].
- Browse items that also start with the letter W.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Wh.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Wha.
- Browse similar items.
- Browse items with a similar board.
- Add a comment or rate this item.
- Skip to comments section.
- Great Whale Shogi. Great Whale Shogi by R. Wayne Schmittberger. (11x11, Cells: 121) Author: Douglas Silfen. Inventor: R. Wayne Schmittberger.
- Whale Shogi. Shogi variant. (6x6, Cells: 36) Author: Hans L. Bodlaender. Inventor: R. Wayne Schmittberger.
- Great Whale Shogi. Large board based on Whale and Wa Shogi. Author: Douglas Silfen. Inventor: R. Wayne Schmittberger.
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID = 'WhaleShogi' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)
Index Maintenance [links] [associate image] [associate text] [info] [quick edit]
Group ID 'WhaleShogi'