Item Index Information
Ultima is a game information page. It is categorized as: Orthodox chess, .
Ultima probably should not be regarded as a variant of chess. Rules are very different from orthodox chess. What ties this game to chess is that it can be played with a normal chess set, as long as it is possible to turn a rook upside down. While the author himself has stated that the game is flawed, many disagree with him. The game is very popular among players of strategic games (e.g., in NOST), and is covered in several game books. <b>Recognized Variant of the Month for November 2001.</b>
The board used for this game has 8 row(s), 8 column(s), 64 cells/squares.
This game is a 2 player game.
- Browse items that also start with the letter U.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Ul.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Ult.
- Browse similar items.
- Browse items with a similar board.
- Add a comment or rate this item.
- Skip to comments section.
- Ultima. Robert Abbott's Ultima page. By Robert Abbott.
- Abbott, Robert. An interview with the inventor of Ultima. Author: Hans L. Bodlaender.
- Baroque Chess. Java applet that plays the game. Author: Jesse Plymale. Inventor: Robert Abbott.
- Ultima. Popular game using the same units, with one rook upside-down. Author: Ed Friedlander. Inventor: Robert Abbott.
- Ultima. Game where each type of piece has a different capturing ability. (Recognized!) Author: Antoine Fourrière and Fergus Duniho. Inventor: Robert Abbott.
- Ultima Pieces. Illustrated guide to how Ultima Pieces capture. Author: David Howe.
- Ultima Problem #3. The 3rd in a series of Ultima puzzles. By Robert Abbott.
- Ultima Problem #9. The 9th in a series of Ultima puzzles. By Robert Abbott.
- Abbott, Robert. Logic Mazes: Website of Robert Abbott. Author: Robert Abbott.
- Ultima . Version using Alfaerie graphics. Author: David Howe. Inventor: Robert Abbott.
- Ultima with Alternate Graphics . Game where each type of piece has a different capturing ability. Author: David Howe. Inventor: Robert Abbott.
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID = 'ultima' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)
Index Maintenance [links] [associate image] [associate text] [info] [quick edit]
Group ID 'ultima'