Item Index Information
Shocky is a computer program. It is categorized as: Two dimensional, Oriental, ShogiBased.
Shocky. A program that plays Shogi.
Author: Pauli Misikangas.
Shocky (version 1.82) and Shocky II are shogi programs, made by programmer Pauli Misikangas from Helsinki, Finland.
In October 1997, he released Shocky version 1.82, which is a freeware DOS program that plays Shogi, with a text based user interface. The program appears to be one of the strongest freeware shogi programs available.
In February 1998, he released Shocky II, which is a total redesigned and rewritten version. This is a portable C++ class library with methods for shogi board handling and a game engine. While Shocky 1.82 was strong, Shocky II appears to be even stronger.
Shocky 1.82 and a demo version of Shocky II can be obtained from the website of Pauli Misikangas.
Shocky version 2.05, released June 1998, now plays Shogi, Micro-Shogi, Mini-Shogi, Judkin's Shogi, Tori Shogi, and Chess.
In September 1998, Shocky version 2.1 was released. This version lays much stronger than earlier versions (but supports only normal 9x9 shogi). Also, Also, Pieter Moerman has released a new version of his Win95 user interface to Shocky: (PM2Shocky/95). It supports all the same shogi variants as Shocky and can be used to play against Shocky 2.05 or Shocky 2.1.
02 Dec 2006: Link updated. Old link was:
13 Jul 2021: Link updated. Old link was:
The board used for this game has 9 row(s), 9 column(s), 81 cells/squares.
- Browse items that also start with the letter S.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Sh.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Sho.
- Browse similar items.
- Browse items with a similar board.
- Add a comment or rate this item.
- Skip to comments section.
- Shogi: Cut-Out Symbolic Shogi Pieces. Make your own Shogi set. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Japanese Chess. Missing description (9x9, Cells: 81) (Recognized!) Author: Hans L. Bodlaender and Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi for Chess Players. Introduction to Shogi geared for western chess players. Author: Douglas Crockford.
- Shogi: Japanese Schaak. Japans schaak (Dutch Language) Author: Hans L. Bodlaender and John William Brown.
- 將棋(日本). 日本的將棋類遊戲 (Chinese Language) Author: Ri S. Huang.
- Diagrammatic Shogi Pieces. Icons of shogi pieces in diagram style. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- EurasiaChess Shogi Graphics. Graphics of shogi pieces mixing European chess symbols & Japanese Kanji. By Emmanuel Baud.
- Motif Shogi Pieces. Motif style Shogi pieces made from photos of wood. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi Pieces. Graphics of shogi pieces and symbols. Author: David Howe.
- Western Shogi Pieces. Icons of shogi pieces in western style. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi Deutschland e. V. . Missing description
- The Shogi Foundation. Organization selling books on Shogi and a portable shogi set.
- Shogi. Play the Japanese form of Chess, in which captured pieces can be dropped back as your own. (Recognized!) Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Homemade Symbolic Shogi Pieces. Photos of pieces made from computer printed stickers on foam board. By Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi Photo. Photo of crafted Shogi set. Author: Victor Vermette.
- Shogi set. Photographs of a Shogi set. Author: Hans L. Bodlaender.
- Shogi set. Photo's of shogi (Japanese chess) set. Author: Jean-Luc Muraro.
- BCMShogi. A versatile and customizable Shogi program. Author: Fergus Duniho. Inventor: Bernard C. Maerz.
- How to Play Shogi. A book on Japanese chess, Shogi.
- Rules for historic Shogi variants. Missing description Author: George F. Hodges.
- Questions and answers: Shogi. Questions and answers about Shogi (Japanese Chess). Author: Hans L. Bodlaender.
- Kasparov's Premiere at Shogi. Chess world champion plays a game of Shogi.
- The Art of Shogi. Information on book on Shogi. Author: Tony Hosking.
- Shogi : Japan's Game of Strategy. Missing description Author: Trevor Leggett.
- Shogi for Beginners. Missing description
- 81Dojo. The International Shogi Server. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Elephant Chess Club. Webshop selling internationalized Xiangqi and Shogi sets.
- Shogi Variants Site. Wikipedia dedicated to Shogi Variants. Author: Joseph Peterson.
- Shogi . Westernized version using Alfaerie graphics. Author: David Howe and Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi, Mortal Shogi, and Kamikaze Mortal Shogi . Optimized ZRFs for Japanese Chess and some recent variants. Author: Fergus Duniho.
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID = 'Shogi' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID2 = 'Shogi' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)
Index Maintenance [links] [associate image] [associate text] [info] [quick edit]
Group ID 'Shogi'