Item Index Information
Dragonchess is a game information page. It is categorized as: Three dimensional.
Dragonchess. A three-dimensional fantasy variant. (12x8x3, Cells: 288) (Recognized!)
Author: Edward Jackman. Inventor: Gary Gygax.
DragonChess was invented in 1985 by Gary Gygax, who originally invented (Advanced) Dungeons & Dragons. This is reflected in the game, by the fact that a lot of pieces come from the AD&D Monster Manual. It is a more involved and longer game than orthodox chess, because it is played on three 12 by 8 boards, symbolically the sky, the earth and the underworld, and there are 15 different pieces, as opposed to the more normal 6. As such, it takes longer to play and to master than more orthodox variants; a typical game can last 70 moves or more. Many pieces are involved from the flying Dragons in the sky, to the Dwarfs moving through the underworld, as well as many other fantasy pieces, such as elementals and basilisks. A program is available from the pages which allows you to play a game (against a human opponent). Many people have played the game and found it to be good, including me, so I think it deserves to be a "recognised variant."
The board used for this game has 8 row(s), 12 column(s), 3 levels/boards, 288 cells/squares.
This game is a 2 player game.
- Browse items that also start with the letter D.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Dr.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Dra.
- Browse similar items.
- Browse items with a similar board.
- Add a comment or rate this item.
- Skip to comments section.
- Dragon Chess (tm). Commercial board game played on a large board with a new piece -- the Dragon. By Lex Parker.
- A Dragonchess Page. Roberts Stevens' page on Dragonchess. Author: Rob Stevens. Inventor: Gary Gygax.
- More on Dragonchess. Missing description
- Dragonchess Games. Sample games of Dragonchess. Author: David Lichtenstein.
- DragonChess . A three-dimensional fantasy variant. Author: Larry L. Smith. Inventor: Gary Gygax.
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID = 'DragonChess' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)
Index Maintenance [links] [associate image] [associate text] [info] [quick edit]
Group ID 'DragonChess'