Item Index Information
Chaturanga for four players. is a game information page. It is categorized as: Two dimensional, Three or more players, From ancient times.
Chaturanga for four players.. Oldest multiplayer chess variant. (8x8, Cells: 64) (Recognized!)
Author: Hans L. Bodlaender.
Scientists differ in their opinions what was the first variant of chess. Especially in the end of the 19th century, there were chess historians who believed that a variant of chess for four players, Chaturanga or Chaturaji, was the first variant. Two player variants would be, in this theory, formed by unifying two armies, replacing the second king by a different piece. The game is fun to play, with or without dice, although it seems a game of mostly luck and little skill when the game is played with dice.
The board used for this game has 8 row(s), 8 column(s), 64 cells/squares.
This game is a 4 player game, with 2 players per team.
Invented in the year 600. [599-601]. [595-605].
- Browse items that also start with the letter C.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Ch.
- Browse items that also start with the letters Cha.
- Browse similar items.
- Browse items with a similar board.
- Add a comment or rate this item.
- Skip to comments section.
- Chaturanga for Four. Ancient partnership game, sometimes said to be the. Author: Ed Friedlander.
- 4-handed Shatranj. 4-handed Shatranj. Author: M Winther.
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID = 'Chaturangaforfou' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)
Index Maintenance [links] [associate image] [associate text] [info] [quick edit]
Group ID 'Chaturangaforfou'