Magnetic Chess Pieces
These pieces were made by Fergus Duniho with the Chess Magnetic font by Armando Marroquin. Bitmaps for most of these images may be found with the ZRFs for Magnetic Chess and Holywar.
Standard Chess Pieces
Conditions of Free Use
There are three main possible uses for these images, and the conditions for use will vary depending on how they are used. The three main uses are Zillions of Games, Web pages (including online PBM servers), and standalone software. I'll begin with general conditions that apply to any use, then follow up with specific conditions for specific kinds of use. Any commercial use of these images requires explicit permission from both Fergus Duniho and Armando Marroquin. These conditions apply to any free use of these images by anyone besides myself outside of Chessvariants.com:
- Any product you use them in must be free.
- You should specifically mention that these pieces were made by Fergus Duniho from Armando Marroquin's Chess Magnetic font and are not public domain.
- You should use the images at full size without shrinking or enlarging them.
- When using them on a chessboard, the spaces on the board should be large enough to fit the pieces without any cropping and without adjacent pieces touching each other.
- The colors used for the spaces of the chessboard should contrast with the colors of the pieces.
- Whenever possible, images should be used for the pieces they are intended to be, as described in this webpage. You may use your discretion in selecting images to use for pieces not mentioned on this page.
If you use these images on a web page or online PBM system, this additional condition applies:
- You should include a link to this webpage.
For standalone software, this additional condition applies:
- You should list a link to this webpage.
And for a Zillions-of-Games rules file, these additional conditions apply:
- Place them in a directory called "magnetic".
- Don't change the image names.
- Include the following text in your ZRF:
; *** Magnetic Chess Piece Images by Fergus Duniho and Armando Marroquin ; *** These pieces are part of a larger set of magnetic pieces. ; *** The whole set is at http://www.chessvariants.com/graphics.dir/magnetic/ ; *** You may not use them in your ZRFs without including this notice.
Written by Fergus Duniho
WWW Page Created: 12 December 2001