Meet the Furlrurlbakking!
The Furlrurlbakking, or frlRrlbK for short (?), is a piece that
moves and captures with the forward and sideways half of the Rook's
powers or the sideways and rear parts of the King's powers.
Here is a complete example of its power: from e4, a White
Furlrurlbakking can go to f3, e3, d3, or
This piece is as strong as a FIDE Rook, or at most a tiny tiny
bit weaker or stronger. The retreating move of the Rook contributes
such a small percentage of the Rook's value that it is hard to make
a mistake when designing a piece such as this!
- d4, and if d4 is empty can continue to c4, and so on through
b4 and a4;
- e5, and if e5 is empty to e6 and on to e7 and e8;
- f4, and if f4 empty, g4 and h4.
Here is a composed position: White has King h1, frlRrlbK on b7;
Black has King h8 and Pawn a5. White to play can still draw by
checking with the frlRrlbK on b8, then a7 and a8:
Here is another one: White has frlRrlbK on f7, Black has Kh8 and
Pawn h7; White plays (frlRrlbK)f7-f8 mate.
- if Black goes to the sixth rank, (frlRrlbK)a7-b6+ catches
- if Black comes all the way to b8 with his King, the same move
(frlRrlbK)a7-b6+ catches the Pawn.
Okay, so these are not great endgame studies, but they *are* original!
Other Links In these Pages
This is a Mailme.