External LinkThis is a link to an external site for: Shocky
Shocky (version 1.82) and Shocky II are shogi programs, made by programmer Pauli Misikangas from Helsinki, Finland.
In October 1997, he released Shocky version 1.82, which is a freeware DOS program that plays Shogi, with a text based user interface. The program appears to be one of the strongest freeware shogi programs available.
In February 1998, he released Shocky II, which is a total redesigned and rewritten version. This is a portable C++ class library with methods for shogi board handling and a game engine. While Shocky 1.82 was strong, Shocky II appears to be even stronger.
Shocky 1.82 and a demo version of Shocky II can be obtained from the website of Pauli Misikangas.
Shocky version 2.05, released June 1998, now plays Shogi, Micro-Shogi, Mini-Shogi, Judkin's Shogi, Tori Shogi, and Chess.
In September 1998, Shocky version 2.1 was released. This version lays much stronger than earlier versions (but supports only normal 9x9 shogi). Also, Also, Pieter Moerman has released a new version of his Win95 user interface to Shocky: (PM2Shocky/95). It supports all the same shogi variants as Shocky and can be used to play against Shocky 2.05 or Shocky 2.1.
02 Dec 2006: Link updated. Old link was:
Author: Pauli Misikangas.
Web page created: 2001-01-04. Web page last updated: 2006-12-02
- Shogi: Cut-Out Symbolic Shogi Pieces. Make your own Shogi set. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Heian Shogi. or Early Shogi. A predecessor of Shogi. (9x8, Cells: 72)
- Japanese Chess. The Japanese form of Chess, in which players get to keep and replay captured pieces. (9x9, Cells: 81) (Recognized!) Author: Hans L. Bodlaender and Fergus Duniho.
- Kokusai Sannin Shogi. Three-handed Shogi variant. (Cells: 127) and George F. Hodges. Inventor: Tanigasaki Jisuke.
- Shogi. Japans schaak (Dutch Language) Author: Hans L. Bodlaender
- Shogi for Chess Players . Introduction to Shogi geared for western chess players. Author: Douglas Crockford.
- Yonin Shogi. 4-handed Shogi variant. (9x9, Cells: 81) Author: Jared B. McComb. Inventor: Ota Mitsuyasu.
- 將棋(日本). 日本的將棋類遊戲 (Chinese Language) Author: Ri S. Huang.
- Diagrammatic Shogi Pieces. Icons of shogi pieces in diagram style. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- EurasiaChess Shogi Graphics. Graphics of shogi pieces mixing European chess symbols & Japanese Kanji. By Emmanuel Baud.
- Motif Shogi Pieces. Motif style Shogi pieces made from photos of wood. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi Pieces. Graphics of shogi pieces and symbols. Author: David Howe.
- Western Shogi Pieces. Icons of shogi pieces in western style. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi Deutschland e. V. . Missing description
- The Shogi Foundation . Organization selling books on Shogi and a portable shogi set.
- 81Dojo. The International Shogi Server. By Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi. Play the Japanese form of Chess, in which captured pieces can be dropped back as your own. (Recognized!) Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Homemade Symbolic Shogi Pieces. Photos of pieces made from computer printed stickers on foam board. By Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi Photo. Photo of crafted Shogi set. Author: Victor Vermette.
- Shogi set. Photographs of a Shogi set. Author: Hans L. Bodlaender.
- Shogi set. Photo's of shogi (Japanese chess) set. Author: Jean-Luc Muraro.
- BCMShogi. A versatile and customizable Shogi program. Inventor: Bernard C. Maerz.
- Shogi Programs. Links to different programs that play Shogi. Author: Moshe Rapaport.
- Shogi Software. Shogi Software. Author: Terrance Davis.
- The Art of Shogi. Information on book on Shogi. Author: Tony Hosking.
- How to Play Shogi. A book on Japanese chess, Shogi.
- Rules for historic Shogi variants. Missing description Author: George F. Hodges.
- Shogi - Japan's Game of Strategy.. Book teaching how to play Shogi. Author: Trevor Leggett.
- Shogi : Japan's Game of Strategy. Missing description Author: Trevor Leggett.
- Shogi for Beginners. Missing description
- Shogi for Beginners. A book on Japanese chess, Shogi.
- Questions and answers: Shogi. Shogi FAQ. Author: Hans L. Bodlaender.
- Kasparov's Premiere at Shogi. Chess world champion plays a game of Shogi.
- Elephant Chess Club. Webshop selling internationalized Xiangqi and Shogi sets.
- Shogi Variants Site. Wikipedia dedicated to Shogi Variants. Author: Joseph Peterson.
- Shogi . Westernized version using Alfaerie graphics. Author: David Howe and Fergus Duniho.
- Shogi, Mortal Shogi, and Kamikaze Mortal Shogi . Optimized ZRFs for Japanese Chess and some recent variants. Author: Fergus Duniho.
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID = 'Shogi' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE LinkItemID2 = 'Shogi' AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 ORDER BY CONCAT(Type,LinkText)