by Köksal Karakus
RulesAll rules except direction of pawn moves and promotions are just as in usual chess.
- White pawns at the 2nd row move upwards, promote when they come at the 8th row.
- White pawns at the 15th row move downwards, promote when they come at the 9th row.
- Black pawns at the 7th row move downwards, promote when they come at the 1st row.
- Black pawns at the 10th row move upwards, promote when they come at the 16th row.
En passant captures, castling moves, mating etc. are just as in orthodox chess.
NotesIn this variant black has the advantage of consisting of a one whole group, but the disadvantage of being besieged from both sides by white. I tried the variant, and it seems to me both sides have equal chances.
- One can play a variant in which the board is wrapped and the 1st and the 16th rows come together. This makes the game more symmetric.
- One of the the queens which are next to king may be empresses, so that they can guard their king better.
Play It!Use Zillions of Games to play this game! If you have Zillions of Games installed, you can download this game and play it.
Written by Köksal Karakus. Conversion to html by David Howe.
WWW page created: January 18, 2000.