Chess has its origins in the Muslim game of Shatranj, which derives from the Indian game of Chaturanga. It is also related to Xiangqi in China, to Janggi in Korea, and to Shogi in Japan. Besides these and various other historical and regional relatives, many other games have been inspired by or based on Chess and its relatives. All of these games are similar to Chess yet also different from it in various ways. Thanks to computers and the internet, it is now possible to play several of these Chess variants without physical boards and pieces. This website – The Chess Variant Pages – is here for cataloging, discussing, and playing the many games that are based on, related to, or similar enough to Chess.
- What is a Chess Variant?
- The History of Chess Variants
- Why Should I Play Them?
- Where Can I Find Equipment or Opponents?
- Which are the Best?
- How Can I Design and Post my Own?
- Who are Behind the Chess Variant Pages?
- On Designing Good Chess Variants
- Chess Variant Construction Set
- House of Staunton Chess Variant Kits
- Diagram Designer
- Play Chess Variants with Game Courier
Bottom of page
Last Game Courier move entered 43 minutes ago.
Last Game Courier open invitation made 7 hours ago.
Last Game Courier game finished 20 hours ago.
Last kibbitz comment entered 41 DAYS ago.
Last Chess Variant problem added 832 DAYS ago.
Last comment or rating entered 7 hours ago.
Last game review entered 7 hours ago.
Week ending Jun 16, 2018
- Palace Shogi. A complicated hybrid of Shogi, Xiang Qi, and Chess. By Silvia Hollinshead.
- Romanchenko's Chess. FIDE Chess trainer Romanchenko shifted the FIDE board in the middle to help his students think for themselves. Author: Jeremy Gabriel Good and Fergus Duniho. Inventor: V. Romanchenko.
Week ending May 26, 2018
- Suction Chess. Pieces swap places instead of being removed from the board, resulting in very different strategy. By Nathaniel Virgo.
- Games for Game Courier. An index to the games you can play online with Game Courier. Author: Fergus Duniho.
Total items listed: 4