By Tony Quintanilla
All the normal rules of Chess apply with the following exceptions:
- In addition to
all their normal moves, each piece may also switch places with an adjacent
- Pawns may promote if switched into the last rank.
- Pawns may make the double move if starting in the first or second rank.
This may result in a Pawn making more than one double move in a game.
- Like pieces may not switch places, as this would result in no move being
Some readers suggested that switching makes checkmate harder and offered the
Variant suggested by Gregory Strong:
- Switching is not permitted if the King is in check.
Variant suggested by Joćo Pedro Neto:
- Switching with the King is not permitted.