Index to photo's of chess variant sets
- Bomberman. Variant on 8 by 10 board with bombs and diffusers. By Bryan Lambert.
- Photos of Capablanca's Chess. Pictures of a set based on Capablanca's 8x10 variant.
- Cardinal Super Chess. Larger board and new pieces.
- Cavalier Chess. All pieces except queens have some kind of knight-movement. Game invented by Fergus Duniho.
- Centennial Chess. 10x10 board, Shogi-like pieces.
- Chance Chess. Cards determine what piece to play.
- Chess - the Speed Game. Smaller board and less pieces.
- Chess Piece Discs. Chess variant pieces on wooden discs. By David Howe.
- Chessapeak Challenge. Pocket edition. Four-player chess variant. Magnetic, foldable.
- Chessapeak Challenge. Classic edition.
- Chessapeak Challenge. Tournament edition. With large vinyl rollable board. Four-player chess variant.
- Chex. Cards form the board and are pieces.
- Photos of Handmade Magnetic Chinese Chess Set. By Fergus Duniho and David Howe.
- Courtyard. Variant on 5 by 8 board. By Bryan Lambert.
- Dodl-schach. Small size, smaller board, few pieces.
- Eight-Stone Chess. Photographs of Jim Aikin's Eight-Stone Chess.
- Eight-Stone Chess. More photographs of Jim Aikin's Eight-Stone Chess.
- Exchess. Photo's of a chess of new chess pieces, designed to fit together with Staunton pieces.
- Floppy Board Tiles. An example of a chess variant board construction set. By David Howe.
- Gala. Historic variant in modern design.
- The game of three kingdoms, a three-player variant of Xiangqi, Chinese Chess.
- Photos of Grand Cavalier Chess.
- Heraldic chess. Cards and dice determine play. Pieces marked by colors.
- Dice for Heraldic chess.
- Hex chess. Hexagonal chess variant.
- Holywar. Variant with 6 by 6 board with four additional corner squares. By Fergus Duniho.
- Horse Chess-Nut. Horse statue with two chess problems painted on it. Posted by David Howe.
- Hyperchess. Hexagonal chess variant from 1971.
- Infinite chess. Board in shape of `8' or infinity symbol.
- The Jungle Game. Photo's of a home made and a Chinese set of this old Chinese game. Photo's by Jean-Luc Muraro.
- King's Court. An oblong (12x8) variant.
- More King's Court photos.
- Korean Chess.
- Photo's of Korean Chess set: pieces and board.
- Tai Chess (Makruk) set.
- Master Chess Triple Game. Three eight by eight boards connected by corridors.
- Modern Chess. Variant on 9 by 9 board. Photo by Jean-Luc Muraro.
- Omega Chess. Large variant on board with 104 squares.
- Philosopher's Chess. A 40-square variant.
- Photo's of Roman Chess set. Commercial variant on 10 by 10 board.
- Shako. Large chess variant of Jean-Louis Cazaux. By Jean-Luc Muraro.
- Shogi. Japanese chess.
- Shogi. Photo's of other shogi set. By Jean-Luc Muraro.
- Shogi. Photos of Homemade Symbolic Shogi Pieces. By Fergus Duniho and David Howe.
- Smegi. 40 square game that combines Smess and Shogi. By Fergus Duniho.
- Space Chess. Three dimensional chess variant.
- Strato Chess. Photo of commercial three dimensional chess variant.
- Tai Chess (Makruk) set.
- Tamerlane Chess. Home made set of historic chess variant. Photo by Jean-Luc Muraro.
- Tezhi Luzhanqi - Chinese army chess. Chinese strategic game.
- Tempete sur l'Echiquier. Cards affecting rules of chess.
- Triochess. Three-player variant.
- Xhess. 10x10 variant with Nightriders and Cannons.
- Xiangqi. Chinese chess.
- Xiangqi. Set with three dimensional figures. Includes photo's of Cannon and elephant. By Jean-Luc Muraro.
- Xiangqi: Photos of a Chinese Chess set made from poker chips and posterboard tiles.
- Photo's of chess sets.
- Alfonso X codex. (Link.) Site with pictures from medieval book on games and chess variants.
WWW page created: October 6, 1998. Last modified: December 16, 2001.