The 38 challenge: IndexIn autumn 1997, winter 1997/98, and beginning of spring 1998 a contest was held to design a chess variant on a board with 38 squares. Here you can find links to information on the contest, the entries, the winners, etc.
- Hans38 Special. By Eric Greenwood.
- Quad-Square chess. By David Howe. 4th place!
- Hans38 Chess. A form of Limited Square Chess. By Ralph Betza.
- Small Spherical Chess. By Andrea Mori.
- The Weak Square of the Jumping King. By Joao Pedro Neto.
- Amoeba. By Jim Aikin. 3rd place!
- The Royal Standard. By Alexandre Muñiz.
- Cube+. By Jim Aikin.
- Guschess. By Gustavo Vargas.
- Flip Chess and Flip Shogi. By John William Brown. 2nd place!
- My38 Chess. By Dave Hogarty. 4th place.
- Pirates-Henge-Ho. By R. Stephen Chafe.
- Hourglass Chess. By Uri Bruck.
- Peanut Chess. By Philip John Brady.
- Chego and ChessNim on four special boards. By Alfred Pfeiffer.
- Crazy 38's. By Ben Good. 1st place!
- The Last Mourning. By Lester Jones.
The tournamentAlso, a tournament is hold, where players compete playing the variants submitted to the contest.
- Announcement of the 38-challenge Chess Variant tournament.
- List of participants of this tournament.
- Round 1. Who plays what game against whom and what is the outcome in Round 1 of the tournament.
Games played in the tournamentSome games played in the tournament have a webpage with their moves.
- Hans38 Special.
- Arnhem chess.
- Amoeba. Game 1.
- Amoeba. Game 2.
- Flip Shogi.
- Hourglass Chess. Game 1.
- Hourglass Chess. Game 2. (New.)
- The Last Mourning.
- The Royal Standard.
- Interview with Ben Good. Ben was the winner of the contest.
- Hans 38 Chess. Eric Greenwood's game with this name - the game that inspired to this challenge.
- Arnhem Chess. Hans Bodlaender's game on a board with 38 squares.
- Voting page.
- The 38 challenge offline. All files in one handy zipfile.
WWW page maintained by Hans Bodlaender.
WWW page created: October 24, 1997. Last modified: March 20, 2002