Chess has its origins in the Muslim game of Shatranj, which derives from the Indian game of Chaturanga. It is also related to Xiangqi in China, to Janggi in Korea, and to Shogi in Japan. Besides these and various other historical and regional relatives, many other games have been inspired by or based on Chess and its relatives. All of these games are similar to Chess yet also different from it in various ways. Thanks to computers and the internet, it is now possible to play several of these Chess variants without physical boards and pieces. This website – The Chess Variant Pages – is here for cataloging, discussing, and playing the many games that are based on, related to, or similar enough to Chess.
- What is a Chess Variant?
- The History of Chess Variants
- Why Should I Play Them?
- Where Can I Find Equipment or Opponents?
- Which are the Best?
- How Can I Design and Post my Own?
- Who are Behind the Chess Variant Pages?
- On Designing Good Chess Variants
- Chess Variant Construction Set
- House of Staunton Chess Variant Kits
- Diagram Designer
- Play Chess Variants with Game Courier
Bottom of page
Last Game Courier move entered 1 hour ago.
Last Game Courier open invitation made 1 DAY ago.
Last Game Courier game finished 2 DAYS ago.
Last kibbitz comment entered 3 DAYS ago.
Last Chess Variant problem added 621 DAYS ago.
Last comment or rating entered 17 hours ago.
Last game review entered 9 DAYS ago.
Week ending Nov 18, 2017
- PokerChess. Played with White/Black 52 card decks, 5x4 board, and poker chips. By Susannah Thorarinsson.
- Balbo's Chess 2. Balbos Chess 2. By wdtr2.
Week ending Nov 05, 2017
- Aldress. A flight of fancy into the alternate history of chess. By Daniel Robert MacDuff.
- Your Neighbors. Find members of this site who live in your neighborhood. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Double Eight-directional Knight Shogi. Shogi with Western knights. Promoted knight = gold + Western knight. By Andrew Wong.
This is a reconstruction of the SQL code used for the last SQL query to the database. It is reconstructed from the prepared SQL and the values passed to it.
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE 1 AND FROM_DAYS(TO_DAYS(NOW()) - '30') <= ModifiedDate AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 AND Language='English' AND PrimaryLink=1 ORDER BY ModifiedDate DESC, Item.RecordCreated DESC LIMIT 800
Total items listed: 6