Chess has its origins in the Muslim game of Shatranj, which derives from the Indian game of Chaturanga. It is also related to Xiangqi in China, to Janggi in Korea, and to Shogi in Japan. Besides these and various other historical and regional relatives, many other games have been inspired by or based on Chess and its relatives. All of these games are similar to Chess yet also different from it in various ways. Thanks to computers and the internet, it is now possible to play several of these Chess variants without physical boards and pieces. This website – The Chess Variant Pages – is here for cataloging, discussing, and playing the many games that are based on, related to, or similar enough to Chess.
- What is a Chess Variant?
- The History of Chess Variants
- Why Should I Play Them?
- Where Can I Find Equipment or Opponents?
- Which are the Best?
- How Can I Design and Post my Own?
- Who are Behind the Chess Variant Pages?
- On Designing Good Chess Variants
- Chess Variant Construction Set
- House of Staunton Chess Variant Kits
- Diagram Designer
- Play Chess Variants with Game Courier
Bottom of page
Last Game Courier move entered 10 minutes ago.
Last Game Courier invitation submitted 3 hours ago.
Last Game Courier game finished 3 hours ago.
Last kibbitz comment entered 48 DAYS ago.
Last Chess Variant problem added 556 DAYS ago.
Last comment or rating entered 6 hours ago.
Last game review entered 7 DAYS ago.
Week ending Sep 23, 2017
- Shop for Chess Variants. Chess variant equipment and books from Amazon. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Shop for Games. Selected games and search results for games from Amazon. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Shop for Board Games. Selected board games and board game search results on Amazon. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Shop for Chess Books. Selected Chess books and Chess book search results from Amazon. Author: Fergus Duniho.
Week ending Sep 16, 2017
Week ending Sep 09, 2017
- What is a Chess variant?. Honed the definition of the term Chess variant. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- NOST. Rewritten to reflect that it is no longer around. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Chess Variants Training. A site that helps you improve at Chess variants. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Bishops. Link address updated. By Edwin J Wilhelm.
- Lancers Chess. chess with lancer piece, lancers instead of knights. By Jeffrey T. Kubach.
Week ending Sep 02, 2017
- Game Courier Settings Files. New location, now using database. Author: Fergus Duniho.
- Chess and a Half. Game with extra leapers. By Nicolino Will.
This is a reconstruction of the SQL code used for the last SQL query to the database. It is reconstructed from the prepared SQL and the values passed to it.
SELECT * FROM IndexEntry LEFT JOIN Item USING (ItemID) WHERE 1 AND FROM_DAYS(TO_DAYS(NOW()) - '30') <= ModifiedDate AND IsHidden=0 AND IsDeleted=0 AND Language='English' AND PrimaryLink=1 ORDER BY ModifiedDate DESC, Item.RecordCreated DESC LIMIT 800
Total items listed: 12